Friday, December 3, 2010

FAVOURITE THINGS FRIDAY---BEJEWELED QUILTS


When I started blogging there were a few of you who dropped in to visit unannounced!

One of them was Barb from Bejeweled Quilts. What made her blog so great besides her quirkey way of writing about her life, was that she lived in American Samoa!

Now, how many of us live in an exotic
land? She did. I was living a bit of her
life as Barb went through her weeks,
her months and her few years living on
this beautiful Island.

Over time, she posted some beautiful photos, of which I'm showing a few today.

Barb named her blog "Bejeweled Quilts" because at one time she as addicted to the game Bejeweled....hence the name
of her blog...Cute heh?


She lived through a tsunami a couple of years ago and posted photos of the destruction on one side of her lovely little paradise.

Barb, not one to be dismayed started asking for pillow cases for her island people and we that follow her blog sent goodies...she also taught local ladies how to sew and quilt, encouraged young people to become involved.

I followed Barb's adventures of visiting her sons and invading them with sewing machine and fabrics, totally disrupting their lives with them loving every minute....as Mom was there.

So, an era has come to an end. Barb and her darling guy are moving on to another adventure in life. I shall miss Samoa and Barb's stories, but I'm thinking that no matter where Barb goes adventure will surely follow.





14 comments :

Barb said...

What a beautiful island....am missing it right now but thanks so much for the shout out...and for being there for me through the years.!!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

What a sweet post, those of us that are lucky to know Barb will follow her anywhere!

Crispy said...

Barb is one of the very first blogs I found when I started blogging 2 years ago. I always love to see what she's up to. I'm sure she will have lots of adventures to share with us once she gets settle back down in the states.

Crispy

PS - I do believe she is still VERY addicted to playing Bejeweled LOL

Kirsten's Cooking said...

This is a really great post, Nanci! American Samoa looks absolutely beautiful, and I love how Barb inspired all of her friends to help serve her neighbors.

Teje said...

Hello Nancy! Most beautiful photos from unique place! Wonderful post!
Thank you for your visit and lovely comment!
Sunny wishes Teje

Marg said...

I'm sorry I missed out on Barb's experience in American Samoa, hello Barb.
It's wonderful to be able to help a community in need.

Shay said...

How fantastic to be able to live in an different place for a period of time and to be able to share it with others through blogging.

And your post is a lovely tribute to a friend!

Paulette said...

Beautiful photos. That's a sweet post in honor of your friend.

Michelle said...

Gorgeous pictures, and a lovely tribute to your friend.

Kate said...

Beautiful pictures and a beautiful post!

SewCalGal said...

I have enjoyed Barb's posts, while she was in AS. She shared insights on life in AS, and inspired quilting. But I'm so looking forward to her posts as she enters that next phase of her journey.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Micki said...

Barb is a sweetheart and it has been fun sharing her life in Samoa, but I am sure that she will be sharing adventurous times in her new home.
Micki

Jocelyn said...

I agree. Barb is such a sweetheart and I have enjoyed following her blogging adventure in American Samoa. Somehow, I think adventure will follow her wherever she goes.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

One of my favorite things about blogging--meeting folks from all over the world.