Tuesday, February 15, 2011

WONKY STARS AND WHITE QUILT

My friend Helen (private teacher at the cottage) loves the Ohio Star quilt block as one of her favourites.  She has made a few different quilts using this block. 

So, it's not surprising that she made this one making it a wonky star.  I only managed to get this photo from her, but her free motion work is so lovely.  She loves to outline the stars, feeling that it makes them stand out.  I think she is correct in this.  This quilt was made for a charity auction last weekend to promote dog sled racing in Ontario.

 I like nine patch.  I've made three
variations of this quilt. My sweetie uses this one for his lap quilt, I have one with pink border, and also a smaller one with another blue border.

I love the white in these quilts.  I saw a white quilt at crazy mom's blog this past week which reminded me of how white truly pops colours when used.   Don't you agree?

We are awaiting warm weather this coming Thursday.  In Canada we count the days till it arrives as it truly is a sign that spring is not too far away.  In Arkansas, where |Karen Quilts lives, she is almost rid of all her bits of snow.  I'm hoping for the warmth of the sun to rid us of a good deal of it over the next few days.  We are all feeling the cold I think, none more so than Barb as she moved from Samoa to the Eastern seaboard.  This winter has been a shock to her system.  Spring is coming, spring is coming, I keep saying that to myself all the time.....



10 comments :

Leslie said...

i love how the white looks but my true confession is that i have never used it!!!

Barb said...

Thanks for thinking of me....it seems to be warming up somewhat.

I too love the white in your quilt, just makes the squares pop and there is something refreshing about white.

Your friends block is wonderful.

Nanette Merrill said...

Love the white with a 9 patch. So beautiful.

Shay said...

I'm seeing wonky stars everywhere I look at the moment-it must be a sign that I should do a quilt using them. The quilting on Helen's is perfect!

Love your 9 Patch.

Summer officially ends here in 12 days so your Spring is coming. I doesnt feel like we've had a summer yet!

Jennifer said...

Love the wonky star block! White....mmmm......I like it, but can't help wondering how practical it is. However one of my long-term projects is a quilt with a fair bit of white, we'll see how it goes when (if!) it's done.

Susan In Texas said...

Your nine patch reminds me of this one I did a few years ago: http://susanintexas.blogspot.com/2008/03/i-made-this-quilt-out-of-all-leftovers.html

The white really makes yours pop; I love the way white sets off colors so well. It's really pretty! I was going for a more country feel with mine. I used up so much fabric in mine, then used the leftovers to make a "country" binding. I think people stay away from white because of it showing dirt, but I think quilts were made to be used and loved (and washed - lol). Having a darker outer border helps because that's where most of the dirt happens. 8)

Happy quilting,
Susan in Texas

Penny said...

I love lap quilts. The white really adds draaaaaama!

Twisted Quilts said...

I never think of using white but you are right it really makes the colors pop.

Crispy said...

I love white backgrounds too. Helen's quilt is awesome (who would expect differently) and your 9 patch quilt is sooooo sweet. There is something about 9 patches....

I hope you get a nice long warm up like we had (snow again this weekend, yuck) except I hope you don't have to battle as much ice as we have. I could barely crawl out of bed this morning from all the aching muscles LOL.

Crispy

Jocelyn said...

I love your 9 patch white quilt. It really is a classic.