Wednesday, March 16, 2011

WHAT'S IN A STUDIO?

 Do you dream of having the most fabulous sewing area?

Do you do your sewing from a kitchen table, or even use the dining room table which isn't used all that much except for special occasions?

I found these few rooms in the Better Homes Quilting site.  I did tag the names when I first copied the photos, but now of course that I am
blogging, their names escape me and
for fear of erasing this post, suffice to say, I am not naming names but  these are pretty dreamy rooms.

One of the rooms appears to be in a basement with a walk out,  the other in a loft of sorts,  so I thought I would show you what is an actual unstaged place where I do my
creative work in the winter months.

 This is probably the most basic "studio"......
Oh I have lots of shelving, lots of room, lots of light, the floor is easy to sweep, but it doesn't look like the studios of some.


Whenever we talk of moving to another house, the first thing my sweetie says is that I am going to have a room with large picture windows to bring in daylight.

This photo is more to my liking of a room with lots of light.  It's bright, there is a working area that says it is practical, not too big to make too big of a mess.

I do like yellow, so I want a room like this.  I'd have my machine built into a different size table as I think I'd need more room at the back, but basically this is pretty nice.

What's your space like?  At the cottage I have a small corner, my sewing is all in a bin, but I do have large and lovely views.  Can't wait to get back there.

  Helen's sewing area is about the size of mine at her cottage.  We get so much more done in the summer months where the fresh air inspires us to just do it.

Tomorrow is St. Patrick's day.  My youngest son met his wife on that day....they both had green tongues from drinking green beer....we are going to my SIL to have a boiled dinner...can't wait.

10 comments :

Harmony Hopes Studio said...

What a dream. I would have to hire someone to keep it lookin pretty!

Shirley said...

I love the first photo. That one would be my dream. I have a paint sample of green pinned to a spare bedroom wall in the hope that when the kids eventually get their act together and move their furniture out then I will have a sewing room. Meanwhile I will dream and look at other people's for inspiration.

pwl said...

What is my sewing room like? Messy! LOL

Jennifer said...

Ooooh.....I love the top room with the green chair.....can never have too much green around!

Shay said...

Those sewing rooms are to die for !

I've always wanted to put an old large railway carriage or something like that up the back of our house and have a sweet separate sewing space where I cant hear the phone and where nobody can find me. That's probably years away.

I like your space Nanci...way tidier than mine!

Mary Johnson said...

I want that first one!

Space is high on my list of needs and right now I have two rooms...one on the first floor for the longarm and one on the 3rd floor for the sewing room...too bad I have to run up and down the stairs so much.

In our condo where we're moving our "home base" I'll have the downstairs but it's a little darker than I like. it's not a large amount of space but there's a small bedroom that will hold the longarm, a sitting area for the sewing and cutting tables and two walk in closets that have to hold everything else!

Twisted Quilts said...

I have recently moved the bed that was in my sewing room into another room. I have two card tables set up and my son gave me a former kitchen table for my sewing machine. It works for me but it sure isn't pretty.

Barb said...

Those rooms are so bright and spacious.

I am in the family room...and my fabric is in the guest room....what would it be like to have such a room as one of those you showed?

Crispy said...

I actually have never wanted a separate room for sewing. I like hanging out in the living room. Of course hand sewing doesn't not require elaborate set ups, just a comfy chair and good lighting :0)

Crispy

Sheila said...

My sewing area is in a room built over a garage. It shares space with two office areas. One corner and the middle of the floor is full of boxes and stuff. Only one window, so not a lot of light. Not pretty, but out of the way :)