Friday, July 22, 2011

FAV. THINGS. FRIDAY! FANS!

 We have had a massive heat wave for the passed week in Ontario and the North Eastern US.  At the cottage we don't have air conditioning because except for this year, we've never needed it.  Maybe one day each year it gets really really hot.  Well this fan that is in the sun room does it all.  It gives air.

Isn't that what fans are supposed to do?  Well I put the fan on high yesterday.  It is the first time I've done this, ever.  The temperature reached over the 100 degrees F.  The humid weather made it so uncomfortable that even
the birds weren't flying.  Except this little
woodpecker that was obviously learning the "fanning" techniques to enable him to stay in the air.  He flew by me so close that I felt the wind from his wings.  Very cute.  He is on the tree on the right.  Looks like a little branch, but he's there.  Hard to take a photo of birds. 

The humming birds were even scarce because of this heat.  What is
with that!

Well, with the fan doing its job, I started a new quilt.  I love this pattern as it just uses up fabric!  I have odds and ends of fabric that I swear I'm not buying anymore till the colours are used up.  Except for white, which I love.

I love black too, but I find it hard to see when sewing.  I've seen a navy fan quilt which I just love, but know the dark colour will not work with me.

Have a great weekend all.  Ours will be busy as we are expecting three kids who love to fish!  Should be fun.


14 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your living area!! so pretty. I'm sure the heat will break for you all up north soon- here in the south I think it will continue - at my house it is 94 to 97 every day while 3 miles from us in town it is 100+ every day.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Crispy said...

Oh My!! How many times have you jumped into the lake to cool off? I love the block you are making, do you have a quilt pattern to see what it will look like?

Crispy

Barb said...

What a beautiful space....love your block!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

I'm using my fan, too. Don't tell anyone I said so, but it's not hot today where I live in Orange County, California. Please check out my blog because I'm having a little give-away in honor of my 500th posting.

Canadian Abroad said...

We are so not having a heat wave in the UK! My brother is in Ontario and I keep looking at the temperatures there and getting jealous - even if I would find it too hot it beats having to wear socks in July. Lovely start to a quilt there. How do you find the energy in the heat?

Kate said...

Fans are a must, the one in my sewing space is on if I'm there. The 100+ heat is a standard here every summer, though not for as long as we've had it this year. I can't imagine 100+ without air!

Pretty block!

Jennifer said...

I can sympathise, we in Australia know all about hot summers...they are the pits. Stay as cool as you can, it won't be long now till fall!

Shay said...

I'll trade you some of that hot for some cold. That should make it just about right for both of us!

We have a ceiling fan in our bedroom but nowhere else. Aussie summers mean airconditioning is an absolute must.

Love the new quilt block. Im thinking it;s about time I did something scrappy for this year - I have a ton of scraps. Im just not sure what to do!

Oh and by the way everytime I see more pictures of the cottage I get more and more determined to have Mr. P build me one!

Kirsten said...

Well could you send just a little of that heat over here. It is the middle of summer and we are freezing. Rain, cold wheather and more rain. Not much fun.
Have a great weekend.

Marg said...

I love your living area, beautiful high ceilings and lots of glass. Can you please post more photos so I can drool a little longer.
We have ceiling fans in every room here as it is so hot and humid in summer. You can also reverse them in winter to move the heated air in the winter down to the floor.
We also have aircon too when it gets too hot.

thea said...

I love fans! We sleep with at least one on every night .. two in the summertime! Very nice block; I saw the pattern somewhere recently, very nice.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

I live in the tropics and we only have fans, I find air-conditioning dries out the air too much and you also never want to go outside. Beautiful view of the lake :-)

Anonymous said...

The granddaughter is making herself a quilt with a pattern about like this. I do the cutting, she's the official sewer. Loving it, she just goes up to the sewing loft and stitches when she's here, she got over half her blocks made.

Shannon said...

Fans are wonderful. We have one in our living room that is on year round. We change the direction when the weather changes. I looked and looked and I could not see the bird, LOL!! Try to stay cool!