Friday, October 7, 2011

FAVOURITE THINGS FRIDAY...THANKSGIVING...

This is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada.  We all get together for a turkey feast, and do actually give thanks for the simple things in life that make us who we are.

Good health is my big thanks this year.  My foot is good, no more moans from me regarding that!

The fall colours are in full bloom here in our little island paradise.  The tree photo
comes from the Weather network of a
person who really caught the works of
nature around our area.

Our lake is calm after the winds of  last weekend, the weather is warm, 20 Celcius, or about 70 F.  Who could ask for better weather in October?

I am always thankful for sunshine as our sunroom warms up and I am able to keep at the sewing machine.

Yesterday, I made pot holders.  Yeah, yeah, simple mind stuff, but you know what?

My pot holders which I've had for years actually almost disintegrated in my hands in the morning when I made a rhubarb coffee cake.

So, this fabric of tea cups and saucers was perfect because for the life of me, I don't know why I bought it.  I couldn't possibly put it into a quilt as it's just not me, except that I loved the colours.

So, I have 16 of these babies made, lined with the proper linings too.  I made a couple of large ones, whoa!  Too big!  More like hot plates than pot holders!  Next, downsized, and just about got it right, In the end 8" was the perfect square to cut with a teeny tiny bit cut off the lining to make it fit in the envelope of the tea cups fabric.

Helen, dropped by to see what I was doing and also brought a spaghetti scarf she made, using her daughter's tee shirt....oh well it's going to her anyway.  Very cute and so finely done too.  I loved the look, but she thought that the fatter one inch cuts were better.

So, dear friends in blog land, finally I thank everyone who pops in, looks, and leaves a comment.  It's the making of  little loves in my daily life here at the cottage.

10 comments :

Shay said...

Happy Thanksgiving Nanci. Enjoy your turkey feast and spending time with family and friends. I wish I could drop in and give thanks with you!

Love those pot holders. The fabric is brilliant. Im not sure I could have used it in a quilt either!

Jocelyn said...

Happy Thanksgiving Nanci. Your pictures are gorgeous!! Love all the fall colors.

Jennifer said...

Nanci, have a great Thanksgiving weekend! Some fabrics are just not meant for quilts, I'm sure.....other projects suit them much better.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Happy Thanksgiving Nanci. Your photos are beautiful and your new potholders are very cute.

Paulette said...

You made some really cute potholders. The teacups fabric seems just right for that kind of project. Happy Thanksgiving!

Barb H said...

Happy Thanksgiving,Nanci. Enjoy the weekend at the lake.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you - have a good time with your family.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Marg said...

Happy Thanksgiving. Lovely fall photos and perfect fabric for your pot holders.

Kate said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Love your pot holders, very cute!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Oh what lovely photos. And the potholders are wonderful. Mine are about in shreds and I need to make more - soon.

Happy Thanksgiving - I think it is much wiser to have Thanksgiving dinner this time of the year instead of like we do down here - just one month separating the two big holidays and two big feasts - but we do enjoy them anyway.