Monday, May 28, 2012

BABY QUILTS AT THE COTTAGE

At the cottage for the past week, there has been sunshine, light winds and a lot of sewing going on.

Helen and I made baby quilts.  She is off on a trip with her darling, visiting a friend who is a new grandmother to a beautiful little girl, so pink was in her charms, for making her quilt.

 I, on the other hand made for a boy born April 24th this year.  I love the green blocks added to the soft blues of this quilt.  A simple but effective look to the finished product.  


We both cut out 5" blocks and 3" sashings to make the quilts.




 I made mine almost reversible.  I always
have trouble with backings and after much measuring and deciding what to do, I am very pleased with the results.


It is hard to blog about ones life when that life is so busy.  I note many of us are so busy sewing we don't have time to blog, and sometimes, the brain just doesn't register an interesting, (in my opinion) blog.


Our life has had so much happening in the last week, with three, count em three deaths of friends, quite suddenly.  Trips to the city is always an event, so it is with relief although sadness that we are here at the cottage, but  thankful for good health once again. 



This is a photo of Helen's cabin where many quilt photos have been taken as the cabin sits in the little wooded area behind her cottage.


As I was returning along the path this morning I could not resist another shot at the wonderful cabin.


Laughter is the best medicine.....a man and woman who have been married many many years are sitting at the breakfast table....
The man...when I die, I want to you to sell all my tools and stuff right away....
The woman.....Why?
The man....Well I feel that you will remarry and I don't want some jerk touching and using my stuff!


The woman....what makes you think I'd marry another jerk?

14 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love Helen's cabin in the woods. The baby quilts are pretty - sorry about your losses!
Karen

Angie said...

Oh I love them both! I'm 'back challenged' as well. LOL Those blues/greens together are wonderful. And I am in love with Helen's cabin---I want to move in, please. :) So sorry you've had so much sadness all lumped together.

Shay said...

Both your baby quilts look darling Nanci. I can’t decide which side of yours I like more!

Helen’s cabin looks amazing. What a beautiful setting!

I’ve been meaning to tell you- I made the cowboy bread and Mr. P wolfed it down. I’d say it was a hit! Thanks for the recipe.

Jennifer said...

Ha ha, very good! Sorry to hear about your friends. I love Helen's cabin, it looks like a fairy tale cottage tucked in the woods. Your quilts are both lovely, I wouldn't be able to choose just one if I had to!

Browndirtcottage said...

...I want a cabin in the woods.......sigh......


Baby quilts.....I.LIKE.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nanci,
The quilts look great in the photos. I LOVE the back on your quilt. Brilliant choices in fabrics. Our "bunkie" looks terrific as well from the path. Am finishing the binding on Gracie's quilt so it will be done by the time we get back to the lake. Enjoy the week!
Helen (your P.T.)

Nanette Merrill said...

Funny joke. I want to go to the cabin!

quilton said...

I love that pattern and the backing is fabulous. I love making backings. I always preach backings don't have to be boring. Gives a quilt a totally different look.
That cabin is wonderful. Does Helen take in strangers? LOL

Leslie said...

these are so beautiful...i love that sweet cottage

Pokey said...

Sorry for your losses in friends. It does remind us to be thankful for each day we have. Thank you for the cabin views, and the sweet baby quilts, and the grins at the end!
:-}pokey

Baby quilts said...

the pink one is nice,i have seen in nursery store but the color are so bright but this one is ok. can you tell about more like where i can find it or any website or something.

Shirley said...

Oh dear Nanci, what a week. Always a time for reflection and assesing what is important in life. I always love to see life on your Island and Helen's cabin looks wonderful. Great baby quilts too.

My friend told me this yesterday. Her husband is a vicar and was called to a hospital where a friend was not expected to live and his family were all gathered to say their goodbyes etc. In this hospital they have a cat that apparently appears when somone dies and the cat made its appearance and sat on the chair opposite this man. At this point the man rallies around looks at the cat and says " I'm b******* if I am going to be told when to die by a cat, shoo!". Off the cat shot and the man recovered. I laughed my socks off at that one. A true story.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I love that colors of the baby quilts - what lucky babies. The photo of the cabin is great - what a wonderful place to live and quilt.

goldencomet said...

Both baby quilts are sweet! I am planning to make some like these this winter - and perhaps add an appliqued motif on each.
So sorry about your friends.
Thanks for the joke - my smile for the day. Of course, an interesting aspect of the joke (other than "marrying another jerk") is the apparent disregard of the first hubbie regarding the new jerk "han dling" his wife. LOL He is nmore concerned regarding his tools. LOL
(Can you tell that I have never had a husband!)
Marilyn