Friday, June 29, 2012

FRIDAY FINISHES. SUMMER QUILT

I love Fridays!  For me it isn't so much of a difference from other days of the week, except that the lake becomes active with the arrival of other cottagers.

I finished this quilt yesterday, I made this using scraps of nine patches, then cut them diagonally, then, I fitted them to
make random squares.  

I love the back which is done with orange dots in strips.  The backing which is a muslin piece I found, was just a little bit too short in length and just the same in width, so I made this awesome back!  I think I could do this as a front on any modern quilt.  My sweetie loves it too of course because it is so simple.   I used  a curvy pattern from my sewing machine to quilt it. 


Favourite things.

I subscribe to Tip Nut.com...it is a great sight which every week the news letter comes with so many ideas that it boggles the mind.  I get it on Thursday but wait till Friday morning to open it.  So it is a Friday Favourite for me.

The other new favourite sight I have found is a young woman who won a You Tube contest and posts weekly about so many crafty and cooking things.  The Crafty Gemini is also an awesome sight.

This is our Canada Day long weekend.  There will be fireworks, BBQs galore so lots of stuff to do with friends and family.  We are going to be fairly quiet as we are on our own.


I am not starting any projects this weekend.  I am relaxing at the water's edge.  I do have the flip flop quilt to hand sew the binding but other than that, all sewing is put away.


Enjoy your weekend, and be careful out there!






6 comments :

Shirley said...

Lovely idea for the backing and you are right it would make a great quilt in its own right.

Have a great weekend.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have fun for your Canada Day! Fireworks are so pretty - they are cancelled (fireworks) this year for our 4th of July as of the drought. With 100+ temps I think we won't be doing much this year - but will be inside instead!
Karen

Jennifer said...

Have a great Canada Day weekend! That's a great scrappy quilt idea, and the backing is really cool.

Katie said...

love the finish and send me that rain! my grass is so dead!

Unknown said...

Have a great weekend! I love the back of the quilt, very pretty. I think it is nice that quilt backs are as pretty as the fronts! Found your site from visiting Mrs. P.

Shay said...

The quilt looks wonderful Nanci. You’re on fire at the moment with craftiness.

Enjoy your long weekend. I bet the lake will be teaming with people. Hadn sewing binding in the sun by the lake sounds just perfect!