Tuesday, September 4, 2012

MORE MAINE ANTIQUES.

 I cannot start this day without wishing the red dog here a Happy Birthday.  He is the luckiest dog in the world....even though he stresses over modelling baby hats....as he belongs to my dog Wilson. So Happy Birthday Quincy.

When we were in Maine, this stove had been donated to the museum.  It is still in full working condition.  The various post and pans ....which is which...are sometimes used when cooking pioneer recipes events in Limestone.

The part on the right was the water heater.  the oven had a 
thermostat which must have been quite the thing.
I saw all these "intimate" items hanging on the line.  I don't know what the item on the left is, and I didn't ask what it was.  It looks like a slip of some kind.

So interesting to visit and be able to touch all the pots which were
quite heavy, so the women must
have been hardy.

When  I saw this washing machine, I could not help but think that wash day must have been something.  Did you ever use a wringer type washing machine?  I did.

One year my niece saw mine and said to her mom that Aunt Nanci had the newest of washers as hers let you touch the clothes while they were washing....yeah those were the days my friends.  How many times my fingers almost went through that wringer, I cannot say.



5 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

lol, yes my fingers went in the ringer also - broke a finger! many, many years ago.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

We had a washer just like that in the house when I was growing up. When you don't have indoor plumbing you heat the water on the stove in a big wash boiler, then fill the washer and rinse tubs with buckets carried in from the well. Then when you're done you drain the washer into buckets and carry it all back out again. It was a process that took most of the day.

quilton said...

My wringer washer was my first machine. I loved it, but fingers and domes on baby clothes took abuse from it. All the diapers I put that machine. That goodness for automatic washers. A lot of water wasted now though.

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday to Quincy! Oh my.....life in 'the good old days' was tough for women, wasn't it? Although even it was an improvement on what had gone before. My mother had a wringer washer, which I was allowed to use!

Anne said...

I do remember how wringer washer and put rubber diapers through that wringer diapers and explodes and I ruined a couple of shirts
Did you ever get anything caught in a wringer?or ruined a couple of shirts?

Tell me the stories of you have,
the clothes you have washed with wringer washer