Monday, September 3, 2012

1930 TOP FINISHED. IT IS LARGE!

 First here is a photo of my mighty dog posing with my friend Mary's little hat.

The dog actually sat still!  Mary and I were laughing so hard, but the mighty Westie just sat there.

The hats are for selling when we go to Florida this winter.  There is to be a flea market table at the senior centre, so she is making these adorable hats.

I have finished the top of the 1930s prints quilt.  Thank you Shay (of Quilting in my Pyjamas fame) for your generosity.


I used every piece she sent except one darker green which I didn't think went well with the rest of the colours.

Because I used fusible web, it is stiff in the flower design.  I also have now bought Steam a Seam which is so much lighter.  Lessons learned always.

I sent a few email pm to a few bloggers asking if I should wash the top before sending it to a quilter and the replies were NO.  Let the long arm quilter decide.  Thank you Bev for really getting the research done on what to do.

The quilt is 90 X 110, so there is no way I can do this on my home machine.  

Of course, if I get my king size bed next spring, the mattress is 15" deep and the quilt won't fit.  I may display it on the side ways so that I can use it.  Why do they make the mattresses so deep and why did we buy it?   

The beginning of a new school year always brings the lake to very quiet and tranquil days.  Our neighbours will leave today, Mary is off to school, her sister Erin is at Notre Dame, so for the first time in years, an only child will be in their home. The dad is missing his Erin I know.

Our Olympic hopefuls are also gone from their nest.  Our girl is at Ottawa University and the darling grandson is living with a family (of saints I assure you) in Oakville so that he can train so much more.   Messy is his middle name.

Happy Labour Day.



5 comments :

Jennifer said...

Love the mighty Westie, he is so cute! Your quilt turned out very well, the yellow sashing is a great choice.

Shay said...

Your quilt is gorgeous Nanci. I love all those pretty colours dancing in the sun in your top picture. Im so glad I could help out and it's given me such a thrill to see this top finished.

quilton said...

Love your quilt. So happy you are using Steam A Seam. It is so different from some of the others and you are most welcome.
I hope to get down to the creek one day to watch the canoes going by. Those young people work so hard at their sport. Your letter is in the mail tomorrow and I found some more 1930's 5 inch squares when I tidied up today. They are coming too.

Sandy said...

Very unusual for a Westie to sit still. My Maggie is like the energizer bunny...chasing squirrels, quads, geese, deer, skunks...:(, basically anything that moves...LOL

Shannon said...

I love your quilt. It could easily become one of my favorites!