Thursday, October 4, 2012

OCTOBER DAYS

 October days at the cottage surely means the season is coming to a close.  All the little projects that have been put off a bit this summer since the weather was so lovely, are now in full gear.

Next door, the weekend project went like this...three guys getting
together to make an extension to
a dock to enable ample sitting space to watch lake activities.


Then there were five...and the women and dogs doing what they do best...supervise, that is except for the daughter who carried boards, to the saw and back to the decking area.  She
worked along side the men, impressing all with her energy...Ah the young!

The little boats are up on winter cribs, awaiting winterizing and covers.  Another little job done!

Mary, my dear friend who has taken up this knitting thing, made six hats in as many days.  She said that we shouldn't bother
her as she had "orders" for seven hats!

She has made a pair for twin boys born premature  a week ago, so the little yellow tops are for them...so tiny, but made to order by an aunt of the babies.

I have one of them for a new baby girl born this week to a very happy grandmother that I know.  I am sending it to her, hopefully I shall get a photo.  I know that it will be so enjoyed and she will take a photo to send to me so that I can see that it is truly loved as a handmade  gift.  It's the least anyone can do isn't it?  I mean everyone had digital cameras these days...

My baby blanket is done.  Thanks again Bev.  I am done with thirty type prints...I had Shay send me enough to do a king quilt, then Bev kept sending me her leftover little squares...what is a girl to do but get making!  So Quilton and Quilting in my Pyjamas..thanks for collecting these extras which came to me...

This should be the last quilt of the season....yeah I know I said that last week or so, but it is hard to stop.

  One of my favourite blogs that I followed because it was just a great spot to stop by, view excellent photography, see the western US, and enjoy her quilts, is giving it up.  She says she is done with quilting!  What?  I am sorry to see Pieceful Afternoon leave the quilting world, for photo ops and other things like making dolls...fiddly things are not in my realm, but Jo says she is loving it.  Good bye to a blogging friend I sadly say.

OMG!  today, the windows are open, the sun is shining, the wind is blowing lightly and we are supposed to be in a rain storm!  How good is that to have the weatherman wrong?   I even put laundry out!  It is October people!

Yesterday, we went all, even the dog to get badly needed haircuts. Mine was so unruly that I forgot how to care for an easy cut!  The dog looks white again, and my sweetie hasn't got the need of a ponytail as his was really long.

On closing, just a note to say that the leaves are turning glorious colours of autumn,  cloudy days are wonderful to view the colours which was yesterday for us.  Beautiful country drive to get all our shopping done for Thanksgiving this coming weekend.




4 comments :

Barb said...

What adorable hats and quilt...

I always love seeing picture of your place!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it all looks beautiful as always. I wish I had a place like you do with your cottage on the island - it always sounds divine to me.

Shay said...

It sounds like you have energy to spare in the making department! Packing up always makes me feel a little sad but I guess we'll all be back at the cottage next Summer.

Shirley said...

Patchwork is a great pastime whatever the weather. Curl up indoors with it when it is wet and cold or take it outdoors and stitch in the warmth. I don't think I will EVER feel the need to stop. I love seeing what others do too. Keep doing what you do Nanci, this little corner of England loves to see your little corner of Canada or wherever you go. Have fun.