Wednesday, May 19, 2010

WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS!



Ok, the Geese were so easy, of course once the instructions were in my head! I can actually make 4 of these babies in about 10 minutes. That's including the pressing and the trimming. Who would have thought it?



I tried to download them yesterday but the satellite just didn't seem to want to accommodate me. So here they are today.

Yes, I am proud. Remember I told you that these were my grandmother's favorite blocks. They show up in so many of her quilts. She used a cardboard template which I have amongst her treasures of quilting stuff.



Ok, now to the dilemna. See the flower? I think that the stitch may be a bit too wide, that I can fix. But the white keeps puckering. do I put a piece of paper under the white?

I have fusible web behind all three cut outs as directed.

I did ask ask Anya at Hillscreek quilter, who by the way has been honored with an lovely award for one of her quilts. Go see http://hillscreekquilter however she uses a blanket stitch but she did give me adivice for that if I went to that stitch. But I think satin is the way to go here.

Please, also do I use less tension on the needle? I have a very light tension for the presser foot all the time, so should I reduce the needle tension too?

I have read a few directions on the web which show how to do it but not the set up. Gosh, I can sew, it's the set up that I can't figure out.

I'm cutting out all the flowers for the quilt today and don't think I'll kill myself with the scissors and there should be no blood dripping as my fingers are healing.

I just never thought of quilting as a dangerous hobby. After reading Karen's comment about not quilting in bare feet in case the rotary cutter drops on the foot, my sweetie (who knows me well) said that he better up the insurance on me! Today, he said that I should be careful with the scissors as I could poke my eyes out!

What a man!




10 comments :

Leslie said...

looks great!!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

LOL - well I only heard of one person who dropped the rotary cutter on her foot - I wonder if there are more out there?
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Barb said...

Please, no blood dripping....

I wish I could help, but I am of no use to you...I can only offer friendship today...no advice today.

Kate said...

I have to use a stabilizer that goes under the entire area - and then tears away - so it would be cut larger than the embrodery, then sew the stitching, then tear it away from the back... then you won't have puckers. Hope this makes some sense... lightweight stabilizer would work...

pwl said...

The one time I used satin stitch for applique, I used stabilizer under the fabric so that the design wouldn't pucker. It was tearaway stabilizer for easy removal.

Sarah Craig said...

Have you tried using a walking foot to do your satin stitch? I wonder if that would help with the puckers. And your husband should get together with mine - after I had my second fairly major rotary cutter incident in two weeks, he offered to get me a helmet to protect me from falls while I was walking around! My friend had a better idea - one of those gloves that chefs use to protect themselves from cuts when wielding one of those fancy chopping knives!

Jennifer said...

Stabilizer is the way to go - it's a bit of a pain tearing it away afterwards, but the results are worth it. Having a good movie to watch while you are tearing away makes the time go quickly.

Sue-Anne said...

Congratulations on the Flying Geese and I would also suggest stabiliser on the back.

I hope there will not be any more rotary cutter incidents.

Crispy said...

I love the fabric you are using Nanci!! I'm glad others were able to help you with the puckering. I was thinking a stablizer but had no clue what kind :0)

Crispy

Quiltgal said...

Love your geese and the flowers. Everyone has already mentions that tear awaystabliber will fill the bill. Speaking of snipping and cutting, last night I was opening a package of smoked sausage for dinner and continuted right through a bit of skin on my arm. It was not pleasant. Maybe I should give up cooking.....too dangerous!