Tuesday, May 18, 2010

FLYING GEESE AND BLOODY FINGERS!

When I was reading the little bio on Eleanor Burns,
one of the things noted was that she charged twenty
five cents for each person that didn't put the cover
on the rotary cutters!


I usually do this, but today I forgot and was reaching for a piece of fabric and look what happened! Yep, three fingers sliced! I had to stop working while the fingers stopped bleeding. A little nic by someone on 325 mg of aspirin sometimes takes a bit of work. I didn't want to bleed on the geese.

Well the geese are done and if I could have downloaded the photos I took, you would have been proud! I am very very proud of myself for following directions.

Well almost...the first practice shot I cut 11 1/2 instead of 11" on the white. So I thought why would she put all that extra fabric to trim? Yeah, then I re read the instructions...11" OMG. And this is day one!

Well I must say that I am very pleased. The Queen of Quilt in a Day did it right. I made all the geese in about 5 hours of sewing, cutting and measuring. I wish I could have downloaded them by satellite, but maybe I can do something tomorrow.

Anyway, the fingers are healing, the sewing is put away for the day, and I am now going to tackle the cutting of the little flowers as directed. Of course when I made my templates....oh yeah, I cut them out of mylar no less, then read Eleanor's little note (cut flowers 1/4" larger than shown) So I shall make more I think, just to be right and following directions for the first time ever. Gosh you'd think I was a man!

Oh, I don't know if my friend even got to Ireland yet as the volcano was acting up in Iceland and maybe she went to Paris instead! Now wouldn't that be a treat!

11 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sorry about your fingers. Another hint on rotary cutting -- I once read a story from someone on accidents - said never go barefoot when using a rotary cutter - she dropped it and had a deep slice on one of her feet, ended up in the emergency room with I don't remember how many stitches. Occasionally I have forgotten - then remember and put the shoes back on. :)
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

pwl said...

Ouch! Been there, done that. I cut my finger in my very first quilting class. I've been told that if you actually bleed on your fabric - your own saliva will help remove it. (I hope I never have to try it.)

Leslie said...

oh no...that looks like quite a good cut.

Michele said...

You make me shiver and knock on wood. I've used X-acto blades my entire career, but rotary cutters are kind of new to me. And they scare me to death! Now I know why! Heal quickly. You have beautiful hands by the way! Now keep them that way!

Sarah Craig said...

I am a walking example to my sewing class on everything not to do with rotary cutters - but I wouldn't trade them for the world! So at least others learn through my mistakes! Good luck on the geese!

Susan In Texas said...

I loaned my DH my rotary cutter to cut some leather for a turquoise leather vest for our young niece. He cut himself within 30 seconds. Slammed right into his other hand. I explained to him how you NEVER hold your hand over the cutting line, then I cut out the rest of it for him. Sigh. He learned his lesson. He bought his own rotary cutter and hasn't nicked himself with it yet. knock wood

Sorry you got hurt; I think we've all been there,
Susan

Barb said...

Oh my....that sure smarts...and then the aggrivation of having to wait for the bleeding to stop...oh....do I sound like someone who has done that????

Shirley said...

Oh god I loved that comment on thinking you were a man not reading the instructions. I have one like that too. Hope the fingers are healing and well done on the flying geese.
Shirley.x

Patchmaker said...

Welcome to the I've-done-something-silly-with-my-rotary-cutter Club. (We're rather a large group!) Hope your fingers are healing nicely.

Twisted Quilts said...

I am so careless with my rotary cutter. My grandson grabbed it the other day and I freaked. Seeing your fingers reminds me of what could happen.

Crispy said...

Bad girl Nanci!!! I'm sorry you learned the Rotary Cutting rule the hard way. Sometimes Quilt Police are good LOL. I would love to see a pic of all your lovely geese. I am so very proud of you too :0)

Crispy