Monday, May 17, 2010

FLYING INTO SPRING WITH ELEANOR BURNS!





We have returned to our little "shack at the lac" as the saying goes about our little piece of heaven here in Ontario.

Not only have we returned but so have the humming birds. Only 2 so far and they are males, so the females can't be far behind. Usually about a week till they arrive and the mating season begins.

The photos that I've taken here are from American Patchwork and Quilting by Better Homes and Gardens. The feature quilter this month is none other than the queen herself Eleanor Burns.

I have all the fabric, the fusible web the backing etc. I even found
a machine quilter when shopping at Fabricland on Sunday. You know
if you listen to a conversation while browsing and hear the word
"quilt" well, the rest is easy. I asked if they knew of anyone who
did long arm quilting and low and behold one of the ladies does and she lives only 15 minutes from me! Now isn't that saying that karma happens when one least expect it!


Ok, I am also going to make the flying geese for the first time, make the flowers for the first time, follow directions for the first time, (that is to the letter almost).

There is a very good diagram of how to make the geese which I shall practice on some scraps before I begin in earnest.

Helen, my guru, my mentor, my very patient friend is off to Ireland for the next week with one of her daughters and her friend Susan. I am going to try on my own, but if I can't giterdone as the saying goes, I do have another project to start.

But I am full of confidence! I am going to make myself proud! I am starting tomorrow.

The weather is fabulous, very light breeze and it's 78 degrees in the shade of our deck. It just doesn't get any better than that!







12 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have fun with the new quilting pattern it looks really nice.
Your summer at the cottage will fly by!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Barb said...

It is going to be simply beautiful!!! You know, it is not nice to ease drop(ha!)....but aren't you glad you did....

Shirley said...

Go for it Nanci. You can do it and it will be great. I am envious of your lovely weather, it still isn't too warm yet but they have promised it it will be soon.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Ohhh a lovely pattern - I know you can do it - can't wait to see yours.

The weather at the lake sounds wonderful - we are back to some rain here in the PNW - but ony a few dribbles so far, good for keeping me indoors and quilting.

Nanette Merrill said...

It really is a beautiful quilt. I love it.

Sue-Anne said...

The quilt is lovely Nanci and I can't wait to follow your progress with it. It is going to look fantastic. I am looking forward to some hummingbird photos too???

Jennifer said...

That will be a very pretty quilt - what colours do you plan to use?

Patchmaker said...

Very pretty; I'm a huge Eleanor fan. The flying geese should be easy; the flowers should be easy; but following directions????? I haven't mastered that one yet; maybe you'll do better! Have fun, and keep us posted!

Maggie

Twisted Quilts said...

You go Girl! You can do it. I have done flying geese and it is fun but sort of tedious. We have hummingbirds too, but I haven't seen any this summer yet.

Crispy said...

Great quilt Nanci, I know you will do it proud :0)

Crispy

Sandra Henderson said...

I'm so happy that I found you via Sue-Anne! This is going to be a lovely quilt! I just adore Eleanor... This quilt also bring to mind for me one that I saw... It was roses like these, kinda, then raw edge appliqued down onto squares, then assembled. It was very pretty once washed. Can't wait to come back and explore your blog some more! XO

Hand Quilting Nana said...

I love this quilt. Could you tell me which issue of the magazine that this was in.

Thanks

Linda