Friday, November 14, 2008

DREAM QUILT





This quilt is also in the new Better Homes magazine and I just love the photo, the quilt is one that would look great at the cottage.


I use duvets there for most of the beds, but if it was adults weekend and I had this for the bunkie then this would look fabulous on the bed.


It doesn't look hard to do, but it is large and quilting it would certainly be a challenge on the sewing machine. This is the photo of the bed now so I hope to do one for this place. the "new bunkie" as it is called doesn't have the character of the old one...later posting....and I have put the quilts that I have made so far in there which is adding some decorating elements.

Yesterday I did 5 nine patch squares. It was hard to do to make them the same for the quilt in progress.

It was raining and when the rain let up, I surfaced and took the dog for a long walk. Even though I do suffer from arthritis a bit and the weather being so damp, once on the road we walked for 40 minutes. No mean feat for this body.

Today was supposed to be raining again but right now the sun is shining and it looks like an early spring day not the fall. There is a 50% off sale at Goodwill, and thinking of the sale I wanted to rise and shine and go see the fabrics and sheets they have at the sale price, but am holding back . There will be another sale.

I know that most quilters use 100% cotton for quilting but for the backing I have used sheets and therefore save money on the quilts because the batting is so expensive.

Jerry has 3 shelves made and has requested pizza, homemade for tonight, so if he gets the other 2 done, he will have his pizza. I am so tough.

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

A lady after my own heart. Goodwill and other thrift stores are a treasure trove of wonderful finds for quilting and other crafts................recycling at its best!

Anonymous said...

I have that magazine and I love that quilt. It's so 'crisp and clean' looking. I still haven't worked up the nerve to make a really large quilt either... maybe in the new year...

I use printed fabrics for my backings. I wait until they have really nice fabric on clearance at Fabricland ($3 or$4 a metre, and then I buy enough and save it for backing). The print helps the quilting blend into the back so you can't see my 'boo boos'!

Lisa Pogue said...

Oh my goodness. These quilts are amazing. I really wish I would've paid more attention in home ec in high school!! Thank you for leaving the comment on my blog. Would you mind if I add you to my blogroll?

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

What pretty quilts, Nanci! Love the blue and white one! Keep up the good work.

pwl said...

Have you seen the book "Scraps and Shirttails" by Bonnie K. Hunter? It's about green quilting - making quilts from recycled fabric and from fabric or batting that is manufactured in a "green" manner. I think you might find it interesting. (I just recently received my copy - if you order it from her site at www.quiltville.com she will autograph it for you.)

Unknown said...

No, haven't looked at that pwl, but have seen it at the quilt store. I think that amazon is the best place to by books, much cheaper.
But an autographed copy, just might do it for me.
thanks/

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom I love the quilt and it would look so nice in the bunkie...but what about the bunks? You would have to do s/thg to match even if it was cheap blue duvets.