Tuesday, January 13, 2009

THE ROCKET QUILT













I loved this magazine with the baby quilt patterns. Last summer when I was really learning to sew straight seams..Yeah really...I made a few patterns for strippie quilts from some ideas of this fons and porter edition.




Anyway, here is the quilt that I made my rocket quilt from the pattern on the left. I didn't do it identical, and my measurements were done at 8 1/2" squares because I was using the left over dog bones that I had. Of course I had 11 and I needed 12, but added another left over square of green at the bottom. It still looks good.



I also didn't make them on the diagonal because of the rocket guy in the fabric that I had. As you can see it's very colourful. Now my problem is what colour do I do the binding. What with the blue on the sides and blue backing (because I have lots of it) I am out of the yellow which actually has a little pattern on it and that would be great, but none of that left.


Soooooooo, I'm thinking, can I do it orange? I also have some green fabric, but I just don't think that would do it.

I am so pleased with the results of this one. All my squares lined up, all the corners match. Yeah, I know that they're supposed to but...it's me sewing and sometimes I gotta rip out and rip out. I am really really good at ripping out.

I am squirming with happiness here people! Can you feel it?

I haven't had the ambition to work on quilting for the past few days. I am facebook addicted these days and what with connecting to family, and seeing all the photos of friends past and present with their kids, now almost teenagers or worst yet, grown, I am feeling the love of reconnection to family and lost friends. So that's what I've been doing. I also scanned some old family photos of my mom and her sisters etc and you know the most comments are that the fashions were just fabulous and how beautiful all the people were.

Anyway, I am back to quilting and will consult with my sweetie and ask his opinion on the colour of the binding.

Oh and for those that aren't looking out the window today, it's a blizzard out there...again. what a winter.

3 comments :

Jen said...

I think green would be nice. It would help tie everything together. That would be my first choice. My second choice would be to continue the yellow that you did in the sashing into the binding. Third choice, the blue. I'd keep it the same fabric as the border. Fourth choice, Orange. I'm not a huge fan of adding a different color border. I know there's some orange in the quilt, but it's too subtle for my taste. Just my humble opinion. It looks great.

Anonymous said...

And I think orange would be smashing! Sorry about the link to the free pattern on my blog. I had to go through the whole darn thing of "ordering" it before I could download it. The pattern is OK-ISH.. hey it was free, and it started some ideas rolling in my head! I was becoming a FB addict, but now I'm into this blogging thing too...

Anonymous said...

I love the bright colours. I bought a magazine yesterday that is all baby quilts. I love making baby quilts, unfortunately, there are no babies in the family to give them too! LOL I just make them anyways!

I'd probably do green for the binding, but orange would work. The whole quilt is bright enough that any bright colour would work.