Friday, January 9, 2009

NEW YEAR QUILT




This is the quilt with the nine block that I started during the Christmas holidays. I haven't been doing much lately and I think it had to do with too much on my little mind....I wanted to sew...but not quilt...so I made two pairs of pajamas bottoms and am happy with those. I used the serger on one and sewing machine on the other. Needless to say, serger one was done in no time. I am thinking of doing some embroidery on tee shirts to make them go together. Oh too much thinking there too.
I used a striped blue sheet for the back and cut the back fabric on the bias (first time) for the binding. I just love the way it turned out. It really is very spring like. I think I know who it's going to got to also.
We still have people with Christmas lights up and I think that by the 10th of January, they should turn them off! I mean it, even some of those awful snowmen are still up in the area. Time to move on people!
I am going to start another nine patch type of quilt, not so many colours I think. I find it hard to put them all together and the last one (January q.) Jerry helped me with the placement of colours, so that's why it looks so good.
I also have a build up of stash...who knew it would happen? I don't want to have so much that I can't decide what goes with what, it's hard enough buying fabric. There is a recession on and I am commited to being frugal.
It's the weekend and I am going to cut out a quilt or two. I think that I am doing about 52 X 52 quilts most of the time.. They do look great as lap quilts. I wonder what size most people make......

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

I make that size a lot too because they have a dual purpose to me - they can be baby quilts - naptime quilts, couch size to cuddle under if you are cold ect. They decorate the couch well too :) I do make big quilts at times - queen size but the smaller ones sure do go faster!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Unknown said...

Beautiful, cheery quilt! I just love the color scheme. I make small quilts too, almost exclusively. (The beds in my house are covered with quilts already, though now I'm starting to think that I could have seasonal quilts there too...) Lovely blog!

Lisa Pogue said...

I would like to have a quilt like this for a table cloth. Does that sound weird? I love the idea.

Kim D. said...

Love your cheery quilt, those are perfect colors for winter time blues. Thanks for visiting my blog. The Framed Four Patch Quilt I made with 5" charms and a 2.5" border and was so easy to make. I plan to make another one sometime in different fabrics. I think it was Kathi who hosted a block swap called the Framed Four Patch on about, which was a smaller block. Here is the link for the pattern they used for the swap. http://quilting.about.com/b/2008/04/11/framed-four-patch-quilt-blocks.htm
Enjoy!!

Wilma Lee said...

Very nice!! Like everyone said, it's really cheerful.

Anonymous said...

I mostly make lap quilts, too. Usually 50 X 60. I've made a few 55 X 70 for the my daughter and her friends to take to university and college, but now that I'm finished with those, I'll being doing mostly smaller ones.

Cornfield Quilter said...

Cute quilt! I like this size quilts,and laps are my favorite to do. I guess I get tired of some of the bigs quilts I make, just cause it takes so long! :D Just a reminder, please be sure you add your PIF to your blog. You need to try and get 3 people for you to make gifts for and be sure you put the PIF heart on your side bar. Thanks, and have a fantabulous day!!

Quiltgal said...

Hi Nanci,
Great Quilt. Such cheery colours. I am so like you. My favorite is the binding. Just as you said, sitting with a cup of tea and handsewing the binding. I remember once seeing a show that showed you how to machine finish the binding. I thought, "How Horrific!"

Karen said...

Now that is the perfect New Year's quilt. Bright and happy! Wrap that around you and the long cold winter will not seem as bad.