Wednesday, February 18, 2009

WHAT TO DO, WHAT TO DO

Boy oh boy, as the saying goes, I've been given a quilt to try and restore. It's about 40 years old and VERY well worn. However, as the story goes, my grandmother who made quilts for all of her family gave this one to her youngest son and his wife for a wedding gift.










Well I don't know if there is a rule about use, but if there is....well they did it. It's very thin, frayed and because of the sentimallity of the piece (did I spell that right), my aunt wants me to try and fix it. I looked at the squares closely and the middle ones looked like they can be saved.










Here's what I'm thinking, cut those out, repair as best I can with the left over squares and make it a smaller quilt. The saved original squares would be the centre foundation and then I would work around these to give her back a finished quilt of a lap size I should think.










I took some quilts to Montreal (previous post) and they loved the stipple look of my quilts. I am wondering if I can stipple these repaired squares and stipple them. Would that make it stronger do you think?
The posted photos don't actually show how thin this quilt is. I wonder if I use fusable web to the squares and then put that on a backing if that would help.
Just a bit of a problem here today.
Oh well bridge is waiting for me.

4 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm not sure what you should do Nanci - I too have an old quilt that I'm trying to figure out how to repair - made by my granny in 1930's it's a grandmothers flower garden - just the top not quilted so will be easier to handle. I need to take pieces out or applique other pieces of fabric on top of the rotted areas. I haven't decided how to start on it because I've been too busy with my own things!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Mary Johnson said...

Nanci, I wish I could help you but quilt restoration is something I'm not knowledgeable about at all. I've had a couple people request I *fix* quilts for them and have refused and referred them elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

I don't quilt...but I am smart. LOL Haha Mom. Its late and I am feeling cheeky.

I think you need to strengthen it by putting a new backing on it...is that what you call it? The other side of the quilt. You need to reinforce the whole quilt...I know that the red and whit one fell apart.Not a bad idea to add some new fabric but I would restitch it.

Make sense? Is that a whacky idea?

Wilma Lee said...

I guess I feel like it would be better to find some lookalike fabrics and replace some of the patches. Better to do that rather than just let it disintegrate. JMHO.