Wednesday, May 13, 2009

PROMISED...RHUBARB COFFEE CAKE

RHUBARB COFFEE CAKE...350 oven...9X13 pan...35 minutes baking.

Blend together

1/2 cup butter

1 1/2 cups white sugar

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla

Then add.....

1 cup buttermilk, or sour milk or half sour cream and milk mixture.

To the above add....

2 cups apps flour mixed with 1 tsp soda and 1/2 tsp salt.

Mix together till blended....

Add 2 cups chopped rhubarb (fresh or frozen)

Pour into greased pan.

Mix together....the following

1/4 cup butter

1 cup brown sugar

2 tsp cinammon

Sprinkle the above all over the cake evenly

BAKE for 35 minutes.

Now, I am telling you that if you are on a diet....DO NOT AND I MEAN DO NOT MAKE THIS CAKE. One piece is never enough as the brown sugar mixture goes through the cake and OMG it is so good.

I got this recipe from a neighbour who had a lot of rhubarb, had been given the recipe years back and had never tried it....she passed a piece over the fence and asked me what I thought...we both have been making it ever since.

I have a Phillips 4 in 1 processor, with a mixing bowl which I have had for years. It's convertible to processing, mixing and blending too. It slices, dices etc and I actually have two because when we bought the cottage, my youngest son and his wife gave me one for the cottage so that I didn't need to be bringing my favorite small appliance back and forth.

I have used it to blend pizza dough as it also has this attachment, but since I like to knead dough I don't use this very much. However the kids when making the dough will use it.

Today, I am packing up for a month at the cottage and am picking up a bunch of rhubarb from my Kelly who went and got some from a neighbour yesterday. This neighbour has a garden of about 10 X 30ft of just rhubarb....so generous to just supply the neighbourhood with rhubarb for free.

The weather which has been good for the past couple of days is going to deterioate overnight so we may not be leaving till Friday morning, although I will be ready. I'm taking some quilting with me and will be sewing hundreds of 2 7/8 triangle squares to make my new quilt. I'll be good at doing small stuff after this.

6 comments :

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

LOVE RHUBARB!!!!

Sunshine said...

Hi Nanci, your cowboy bread turned out PERFECT! Check it out: http://cuttingedgequilt.blogspot.com/2009/05/this-ones-for-nanci.html

Thanks so much!
Cheers, Christine

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I will have to try this one when I get home Nanci - and I will send you my rhubarb crisp recipe - it is delicious.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Crispy said...

I've printed off this recipe too. Everyone is doing desert recipes or breads and I LOVE IT LOL.

Crispy

Deb said...

I love Rhubarb and have lots. I will have to try this recipe. I make a great Rhubarb one that I will post you may want to try it is rhubarb custard with a cookie base and merigine topping. thanks for the additional rhubarb yummers.

Judy D in WA said...

This just came out of the oven. OMG, I cannot wait. The plan was to take it to a picnic tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll be baking another one. Thanks. I wonder how this would taste with some fresh strawberries. Maybe I should find out. ;-)