Tuesday, May 12, 2009

YUMMY AND SUPER EASY!

Here is the easiest and yummiest recipe that we make at the cottage.

It's called COWBOY BREAD but I don't know where they got the name. Because I love cinammon spice, years ago while surfing Recipes Only site, this was a recipe posted.

Here it is.

Oven at 375...9 X 13 Pam sprayed pan.

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/3 cups white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup marg. shortening, lard or butter
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinammon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup sour milk, or buttermilk, or left over sour cream (1/2c.&milk)
2 large eggs.

Beat eggs and milk & marg till smooth, add dry ingredients till not lumpy,
Pour into pan...bake for 20 minutes.

Super super easy...This is one of the recipes that the grandkids, boys and girls alike just make at the cottage. If they could read this, they could make it. It usually lasts only till it's cool as it is loved by them all.

I never ice this, sometimes somebody will add butter and maybe a bit of jam to it, but usually the knife stays in the pan and the kids take a piece as they walk by. It's that good.

I don't usually post a recipe, but it is spring and rhubarb is in season so will have to post my all time favorite rhubarb coffee cake tomorrow.

Baking is fun for me and I don't think anyone outside of Canada knows of buttertarts, but here they are a recipe passed down to generation after generation. A bit fussy to make, but once done...oh my so delicious. And they freeze well too.

Hope you enjoy the "Cowboy bread".

7 comments :

Sunshine said...

I LOVE baking! I'm going to try this today, as I'm going away for a week soon and have sour cream to be used up - perfect! If it turns out, I'll post a pic on my blog for you :)

Cheers,
Christine

Jocelyn said...

Thanks for the recipe. Looks yummy. Will have to try this one for sure!

Micki said...

Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely try it.
Micki

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

We call buttertarts - pecan tassies (of course they contain chopped pecans), or sometimes called nut tarts - they are a huge favorite with our family and many friends make them too.

This recipe looks too good to pass up - and I've got sour cream.

Lindsey said...

OOoo I want to try it this morning...sounds like a good breakfast.
Lindsey

Crispy said...

I can almost smell this bread. I've printed it off and will have to try it one of these days.

Crispy

umbrellalady said...

Thank you for the recipe - I can see it working at the cabin very well. The smell is going to drive my neighbours nuts. lol

Sounds like a great recipe for sharing.