Wednesday, January 13, 2010

AND THE WINNER IS!


Yesterday while waiting for my son to get his colonscopy, which turned out well by the way, I thought I'd stop in at Sally Ann and see what they had on as Tuesdays are Senior discount days!


I found these two plates for .85 each. Hand painted in Portugal now less. The blue one has just a small ridge for cheeses etc and the larger one is quite flat but they were both so perfect for the cottage that I was just so pleased to have found these perfect items.


I'm getting to my decisions....hang on. Be patient!


Then, as I was looking through the books area for
something interesting, I found this old quilt book
of Quilts made in the last century in Ontario. Although some of the quilts are from Pennsylvania and New England areas and are photographed in black and white, the book was a dollar, so I grabbed it.


The history of Upper Canada as we were known is very interesting and probably not unlike what the pioneers of the northern States endured.


It has some great stories which I will post at other times when I don't have much to write about....



I remember when Karen (Karen Quilts) went to the
Dakotas last summer, I just couldn't get enough of
the stories of the pioneers of the area.



I can't imagine that we would be that tough today what with our central heat, the air conditioning in the summer and the cook stove at our disposal at any time and the refrigeration!


These women worked! We just putter around when one considers their working conditions.


Anyway, with all your postings, thank you all so much for the opinions, but #2 is the choice that I let my sweetie make. And so it goes.

Tomorrow we are off to the plastic surgeon for a carpol tunnel procedure on my sweetie's left hand. It's been bothering him for so long that he decided to endure the about 15 minute procedure. I have other things in mind if I am to visit a plastic surgeon, but that's another story.

Ah this blessed weather. Today was glorious to the point that for the first time in about 8 weeks, I didn't wear a hat when I walk the dogs! I'm tough!







11 comments :

Jennifer said...

Great buys, you were lucky! I'm off to our local Salvos today to drop off some tings....might just have to see what I can find too.

Barb said...

LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeee those plates....

Hope all goes well with the surgeon tomorrow...

Anonymous said...

Hi Nanci,

Good choices both on the plates and on the quilt. Love the quilt! Give your "sweetie" a hug from us!

Helen

Jocelyn said...

I think you made a good choice :-) Hope everything goes well tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Really great news about your son Nanci. Lovely bargains. I have a similar shop near my work and it's always a good place to browse during my lunch hour! Hope all goes well tomorrow for your 'sweetie'...

Crispy said...

Oooo lovely purchases. I too love to read about the history of a region. I see those old broken down houses and barn and think how happy some woman was when she was able to move out of the soddy and into a real home.

Crispy

Nanette Merrill said...

Good luck on the carpal tunnel. I'm sure it will go as he wants.

Micki said...

Lovely purchases and good luck with the carpal tunnel!
Mciki

Val - Apple Cottage said...

Isn't it exciting when you find treasures like that.

Rose Marie said...

I have that book and there are a few that I've earmarked. Sure do love those orange and lime green patches.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nanci,

Lovely quilt...great blog!
Greetings from a fellow Canadian...Montreal here.

Wren
http://z10.invisionfree.com/Journey_Back_in_Time