Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A QUILT REMEMBERED!




I saw this quilt that is the second quilt I made!  I remembered it so well as I made it with a 12" size cutting board and a 12" ruler.

My granddaughter Tory picked out all the fabric and started with the red dotted fabric.  When I finished this quilt, which is about 65 X 75, I remember thinking that this cutting thing was a chore! 

When I finished the quilt, is when I found a large 25 X 36 board, a long fat ruler and realized that changing cutters was awesome!  I tell you this (again) because it's now going into my third year almost of quilting so I have learned a few things since the 12" X 9" little pink cutting mat.

I love this quilt...it's probably in the easy label as quilts go, but I tell you, I had to look at each and every little block, every stitch, every seam that went into this...it was so hard for me to do.

I had only one little strip square left, but of course being me and doing the math the way I do, I actually have some of the red dot squares around somewhere.  Not enough to make a quilt, but a few squares are left.  Oh just another New Year reminder to this brain, I ran across all the orange and white squares that were part of the first quilt I made using the same measuring items.

I probably should have taken a lesson or two, searched the web a bit more, but after all, Crazy Mom Quilts...yeah her....she got me started.  It looked so simple and she didn't say what to use to cut the fabrics with...reminder to anyone starting out...use a large cutting matt and ruler!

So, looking at all my quilts, I've decided that I'm going to make another of this pattern...just because I really like the look of it, also I will need to try the stitch in the ditch thing with my Janome....that is if it ever comes back to me.  It's been at the shop since the 22nd of December.

Fabricland has a buy one metre, get two free going on...Sounds like good math to me!  I can cut out till my machine comes back.

Oh and I must do another strippy for a sweet little girl who likes pink!

Spring is 120 days away, give or take a day or two.

7 comments :

Unknown said...

i love this quilt, the colors are great

Jennifer said...

That's a great quilt! I made one in that design. Now you can't pass up a deal like that from Fabricland, can you.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I really like that quilt. When I first started, I made a king around the world quilt and used the smallest rotary cutter they made!! I had no idea, there were bigger ones. we live and learn right!! I think we should put a counter on our blogs, that count down until Spring!!!

Sunshine said...

can you believe I didn't buy a single meter of fabric!?! Last time I went crazy on this and bought out their cotton sheeting, it was on sale for 1.99/m a week later, haha - they got me!

I actually have to use some of my stash - if this place ever burns down, I'm losing a fortune!

Cheers,
Christine

Lindsey said...

What focus you have to do such tedious cutting...Amazing, it turned out great. I can't believe you've only been quilting 3 years.

Crispy said...

That is one of the prettiest quilts you have made (IMHO) and to think you didn't even have proper tools to make it easier.

Since we had a snow storm in June, I think it will be longer than 120 days LOL.

Crispy

Unknown said...

oh, it is wonderful. I love it. hugs from Italy