Friday, January 8, 2010

YIKES! THIS IS ORANGE DOTS!

Now I like orange as I've said before in posts, but man alive....this is orange!


When Helen called in the summer and said that she had found some orange and white, white and orange dots and would I like a couple of metres since it was on sale, well what could I say?


Yeah sure a couple of metres should do me! Well how does one "tone" down orange? I've got this fabric that I found at goodwill and it actually seems to be doing the job. It isn't cut on the bias, it just is made that way, so it does give the block a bit of dimension, don't you think?


This is going to be my buckeye quilt that I posted a few
days ago. It sure is going to be differen. I may get
dizzy just looking at the dots.


Now, here is my question, should I put a yellow or
green binding on this, or just white. I think white
will be the back. I don't think I could live with
any more orange dots. The fabric actually also
comes in small orange and white dots...too much
of a good thing here....





I have been given a blanket holder...I'm going to paint it. Not orange for sure, but maybe just white and I am thinking that I shall put it in the bunkie at the cottage. Just for the decoration of it.


It was handmade by Mary's dad for her quilt that her grandmother gave her. So I'm going to cherish it. It has already come in handy for putting my strips for the quilt.


Oh it's so nice to have my computer back. Over 200 little critters were in here messing about. I was told that like a car, our computers need tuneups at least once a year. My antivirus scans didn't catch any of these! Only $70.00 for the fixup and a couple of new programs on of them being Excel, which I've never had.

We are in the middle of another very cold spell which I didn't realize when I took the dogs to the park for their run. The sun was shining and it wasn't until I got there that I realized the north wind was blowing drifts across the park. Even the dogs didn't last more than 10 minutes....One of them had ice on his chin from chasing the ball. My cheeks are still red! It's winter people!

I still haven't got my sewing machine back, hopefully tomorrow. It's because of the holidays and all the days that the shop was closed. Tomorrow...I hope!

10 comments :

Leah Spencer said...

I would go for a green binding, since that's one of the most handled parts of the quilt. And even if it's hanging up on a wall, white would be showing dust faster than yellow or green.

My dad's plumbing company is mainly orange, toned down with blue (uniforms, font color).

Jennifer said...

That will be a lovely bright quilt! Why not wait until the top is finished, and see what colour binding it asks for?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have found Norton Anti Virus protection the best - it catches everything for Mike and I and we never have problems using it.
I am getting a lot of use out of the wrist warmers you sent me last year - it has been so cold here and our heat pumps that we use for heat in the south are not efficient in really cold temps, my hands tend to get cold and these have really come in handy!! Thank goodness it will be back to the 30's and 40's by Monday!!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Barb said...

If you put green, it will look like a Halloween quilt, maybe white?

Love your quilt holder!

Crispy said...

My first instinct was to say green, but get the top finished, lay some fabrics next to it and ask us again, besides we love giving opinions LOL.

Oh, I forgot to say that I really love the fabrics!!

Crispy

Anonymous said...

Either green or yellow will look good. Definitely not white. I like the orange!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nanci,

Wait until it's done. I suspect you might change your mind a few times before settling on the colour. It look FABULOUS just like you!
Ciao,
Helen

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I agree with everyone else, wait until you are done, then gives us some choices, we love to "help"

Quiltgal said...

What a beautiful bright spring quilt you will have. I think white really tones down the orange and makes it wonderfully soft. The plaid was a great choice.

Carol E. said...

You got some cool fabric at Goodwill! I have some of that white dots on orange. It does have a very strong personality..I'm not sure what to do with it, either. I like what I can see of yours.