Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A DAY'S WORK, DONE!








I said I was using up stash. Well yesterday, I started with this 36 X 24 pieced blocks that one desperate day at the cottage when I didn't have much fabric, I put this together with one of my granddaughters.


The plain blue is from my grandmother's stash, circa 1965, can you believe?


Then I opened the 3" binn and took a look. I had enough to
put a small lap quilt together from that binn. I'm happy
that I had cut out all these strips when I was purging
my stash, such as it is.










Then, I just put some of the strips on the blocks and lined up a few to see how it all would look.






About 5 minutes later, (I did say I was on a roll didn't I)
I had the pattern put together and away I went, sewing, pressing, sewing and pressing.






About an hour later, the quilt now measered 42 X 58 and I was satisfied. I used a sheet with a small print for the backing, layered it on the table and spray basted the quilt.



.
Now I tell you, making strips and little blocks has been so smart of me since I'm using up. I can put projects together like this in a day.


.
I didn't start on the quilting as the Olympics called me away. I love the spectacle! Curling has now become our favourite sport and I am sure that we will continue to watch it after this week has ended.

.
Last night, for the first time in history of the Olympics, North America received a gold and a silver in Ice Dancing. Canada the gold and the Americans the silver. Both teams skated so extremely well and since both teams actually train together you can imagine how hard they were to judge. It could have gone either way. Dance has always been a Russian domination...not this time or ever again if judging from our skaters... We stayed up till midnight to watch it all. Wonderful, wonderful night.




8 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we stayed up watching the ice dancing too - I was surprised this year that Mike has been watching the skating (figure & dancing) also as he never use to. We can not decide which we liked better of course but so pleased that the Canadian couple and the American couple got the first two spots. We really thought the bronze should have went to the other American couple - but that is us :) I try to quilt while watching but mainly I seem to be doing that while the announcer and analyzer are chatting or I would miss the good stuff! That still gives me plenty of time to quilt considering how much they talk!!!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Leslie said...

this top is beautiful...i love all the polka dot. my husband has been watching the olympics until late every night too...the skating was so fun to watch.

Shirley said...

Hi Nanci,
Well done on managing to make a lovely quilt out of your leftovers. Clever girl. I haven't watched too much of the Olympics but did see a bit of skating on Saturday and it was the mixed pairs skating to the theme of Tango Romantica and thought then that the Canadians were something special. Their routine I felt was more in tune with a tango. Well done to them too. Well deserved.
Shirley.x

Barb said...

Great quilt .....and wonderful scraps!!

Sue-Anne said...

Love that quilt! How rewarding to make it out of stash leftovers. I saw both the Americans and the Russians with the ice dancing. There has been A LOT of controversy here over the Russians with their "aboriginal" dance - nothing at all that resembles our indigenous culture and those costumes! What were they thinking!

Jennifer said...

Your quilt is a great way to use leftover fabrics. The Canadian pair's ice dancing routine was superb, we were cheering for them!

明白的一切 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Crispy said...

How fun to find just the right fabrics to complete this little quilt....you little speed demon LOL.

Crispy