Friday, February 26, 2010

LITTLE GIFTS OF APPRECIATION


The Olympics are always a lot about marketing. Here in Canada, everyone that carried the Olympic torch was met with these mitts. They cost $10.00 Canadian and they are available everywhere. Oprah loves them and gave them out to her audience .
.
This morning this little item was given to Jimmy Fallen on one of our morning shows. They are just a huge hit
as they are readily available and very affordable.
We aren't usually so flashy, but these mitts...even this
little chick loves them!
.
When we were visiting my friend Helen and talking
about gifts that many athletes receive when visiting
countries, she showed me these two absolutely fabulous little eggs that her sweetie received when a Canadian hockey team visited Russia and he was part of the team support.
.
Then, since he was going back again, he contacted the woman who makes these, asking her if she needed some
little thing from Canada. So my friend Helen who knits, put together wool, paints, threads, and some clothes
for this woman, who lives very very simply.
.
Another egg was given. The eggs are solid wood, hand
painted and probably weigh about 5-6 oz, are actually the size of a goose egg I think.
.
The workmanship is amazing don't you think? I just can't imagine sitting and doing such detail as this.
It was very hard to photograph due to the size of the art work, but I hope you can click and enjoy.
.
Thank you Helen for sharing this wonderful little gem!





10 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

those items are beautiful. I love the mittens too, they look nice and warm. I should have sent for a pair now it is probably too late.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Bunny said...

Love those mittens they are so warm and fun to wear.

Barb said...

Those eggs are amazing!!

Sam said...

Love the mittens, love the eggs, thanks for sharing.

Sue-Anne said...

Those eggs are stunning! What a treasure to have as a momento.

I love those mittens! I am seeing them pop up all over blogland. You have a great national emblem in the Maple Leaf.

Unknown said...

Those eggs are stunning but the little bird got me !

Micki said...

I love the eggs..they are exquisite!
Micki

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I was lucky enough to be given a pair of those wonderful mittens. I love them. The eggs are sooo neat. I can't imagine sitting and doing that either.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nanci,

I sent a box full of those Olympic mitts to my godchildren and friends out in Newfoundland last month as they sold out very quickly on the Rock.

The eggs are breath-taking in their beauty and detail. Even after all these years, when I look at them again, I notice something new that I did not see before. Such unique treasures for our family and wonderful mementos of Dad's adventures!

Take care,
Andrea

winterpeachblog said...

I've wanted those mittens ever since I saw them on tv. They really are great! Arlene