Monday, February 22, 2010

PURPLE AND PINK "FLAGS"

Last summer at the cottage, I saw this pattern in an old quilting magazine. I loved it enough to gather what I had left at the cottage to make a quilt.


You know I loved dots, but I think my love of them is waining.. I mean, I have so many quilts that have dot in them and I'm trying to use up stash but how much can one use these dots?


These squares are 16" so the quilt is 48" squared up.
I usually border my quilts as I like that look, but this one didn't require it for the effect of the quilt.


.
I'm not that fond of it but now that the photo was taken
it actually looks better in the morning light. I used some of the remaining purple to make the back.


When I was a kid purple and pink were my favorite colours for happiness. I remembered this as I was putting it together. Funny what happens when quilting and the mind wanders.

.
Anyway, there were 10 blocks and I didn't want to
waste any of them so I put one one the back. Now,
there are quilts that my sweetie thinks are weird!

.
Remember the experiment in the summer? "Did you
screw up?" ...I wasn't too happy about that and then
of course, there's the bar code one just posted, so I was thinking he wasn't going to be given a chance to comment when I presented it as I was doing the hand sewing during the curling.

.
Yep, he loved it and wondered only why didn't I put the pink and black "flag" in the middle of the quilt back? These blocks look like flags? He's been watching to much Olympics with the people waving all their flags I think!

.
Other than batting and a bit of fabric since January, I'm sticking to my belated resolution to use up all those scraps that I've had put into bins "for future use". I don't know how people keep track of all their fabrics, because I just have a few dozen on the shelf, and still have 3 boxes of scraps and strips that need to be used. What, besides looking at fabrics do they do with it all?


What were the plans when fabric was purchased I wonder. Me? I've looked at fabric that's mostly on sale just to have it thinking, oh yeah thinking that I know what I could do with this.

So this morning, I'm off again to use up those pieces that are in bins.


11 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hi!
The quilt looks great, Nanci. Love the back! I promise not to give you any more "dots."
I'm still working on reducing my stash and will do a light/dark nine patch - very cottage friendly. Have to finish 5 others before I tackle that one. Oh well....
Ciao, Helen

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice how it turned out. you sure are busy using up your scraps.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

bettyp said...

I love the colors!!
I am also trying hard to reduce the amount of stash and the scrap, been on a fabric diet!!

Mary said...

You have a great eye for color. That quilt is fun. I admire you willpower in not buying fabric without a reason/project. I do not have any willpower.

Barb said...

What a wonderful, fun quilt...great job and you are right, it looks great without a border....love it!!

Susan In Texas said...

That's a terrific quilt. I love the blocks and I LOVE that you put the block on the back.

I with you about losing track of what's in my stash. I have quite a bit of fabric and I have been known to buy double lots of VERY similar fabric without realizing it. This year I'm going to try to make my quilts based on what backing fabric I have. It seems like that I will make a quilt out of scraps, then have to buy backing fabric, then I have more scraps than when I started! I guess I'm too particular about my backing fabric; I really like it to coordinate well with the front.

Unknown said...

Oh Nanci, I love that pattern and I love dots.. I have a little collection but haven't used them yet. I think this is gorgeous. Hey I deleted your message stupidly when I deleted my oh forlorn blog....but what was the programme you mentioned...

Pokey said...

This is a happy quilt. Boy, you are on a roll with your completions this year. Doesn't that feel good!

Crispy said...

Great quilt Nanci!! Ya know using scraps makes more scraps...only smaller pieces LOL.

Crispy

Sue-Anne said...

I love that quilt! So bright and cheery and quite modern. I like how you put the spare block on the back - it makes both sides of the quilt interesting.

Trish said...

The quilt turned out great! It really will brighten a room and I loved the pieced backing. I'm going to try and piece a back someday!