Friday, February 19, 2010

IT LOOKS LIKE BAR CODES


Monday was Family Day in Ontario. The goverment put this into effect 3 years ago because there isn't a break from Christmas till Easter. Hence , Family Day.


.
So on Monday we had a big Pizza lunch at our house with grand kids in attendance for Nana's homemade Pizza. Salads, fruits and home made cookies for dessert.


.
I made this quilt last spring and since I'm feeling spring in the air as opposed to autumn for the Aussies, I thought I'd set a bright table.



.
Remember when I tidied up my sewing room in January and cut all kinds of 2 1/2" and 3" strips? Well, my neighbour Mary's daughter had a birthday and I said I'd make her a quilt...

.
I had all these strips already cut out, so the top went together in an afternoon almost. Very simple, but I just made the strippie a bit different.

.
My sweetie looked at it and said "it looks like bar codes!" Now why oh why did I ask him what he thought? I should have known better but silly me I had to ask.


Then, of course, it's what I had to call it as the name stuck in my head.
The back is all in white. Plain and very effective I think.

.
It measures 43" X 65" which is perfect for a lap quilt. The beauty of these is that the back may be made with 45" yardage although I used a single percale sheet.

.
I have also sent off today my nine patch to Australia for Illene's quilt. I don't know when it will get there as I was talking to my friend Helen who mailed a quilt to the Irish Flood relief and she has been tracking it for about 6 weeks and it's still not arrived in Ireland! I think my little envelope will get to Aussie land before her's gets to Ireland.

.
Olympics are taking over my life! So exciting to watch all of it and cheering on the participants. Did I ever tell you of my mogul experience? No? Okay, I'll give you the short version!

.
It was, maybe my third time up a chair lift skiing with the kids, who are all teen age dare devils at the time and were so happy that I was skiing! Specific instructions were given, "go left when you get off the chair" but the groves that I got in were to the right.

.
As I started down the hill, I noticed all these bumps....I thought "what the H....! and then I hit a couple of bumps, I started to speed up as I tried to avoid first this bump only to hit the other beside it. I can hear my kids who are going up the chair cheering me on and let me tell you, my knees weren't together and neither were arms!

.
I finally fell, thinking that a ski pole had entered my chest, I lay there in absolute agony! My oldest son comes up to me finally, and I tell him that I think the pole went into my chest....."No, mom, it's your cigarette package", but he commented that people on the lift were shouting to each other saying " Look at that crazy woman doing moguls....which one?...the one in the bright lime green ski suit!"

.
I asked my son who the hell would put bumps like that on a ski hill.....yep they're called moguls. I never turned right again on that hill. I also gave up cigarettes.

10 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

LOL - oh how funny! I only skied one time and never again - I kept falling down and my arms are skinny weak things and no muscle - I didn't have the strength to keep pulling myself up and this was when I was 19!!! I had so many bruises and one knee swelled up so much I couldn't believe it - I never tried it again.
Love the quilts - I hope no one spilled anything on the quilt on the table - it looks beautiful on it.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Sue-Anne said...

Oh Nanci! That's hilarious! I have this picture in my head of this crazy woman out of control racing down the mountain!
I love the Bar Code quilt, very modern looking for a young person, and your quilt on the dining table looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilts! (Hope nothing was spilled on that beautiful quilt!) Had to laugh at your husband's comment (although the quilt is so pretty!) because my husband says stuff like this all the time, like telling me I looked like I just won the master's once when wearing a green jacket and that I looked like Steve from Blue's Clue's when wearing a striped sweater. For a smart guy, he's not always so smart.

Unknown said...

Hello again Nanci. I love your quilts. The one on the table is gorgeous. Perfect to brighten up a room. Thank you for putting me in touch with Helen. Nice to be back 'online'.

Jennifer said...

Your table quilt is lovely - looks like licorice allsorts! You're braver than I am, I have never tried skiing.

Quiltgal said...

I adore the quilt on your table it looks so fresh what a great idea!

Susan In Texas said...

At least you gave up cigarettes. Now if you have permanently quit skiing moguls you might live a really long time. 8) Long enough to finish all your UFO's maybe? Hope so!

I think your quilt looks perfectly lovely, and not a bit like bar codes! I've found if I tell my husband what the three acceptable answers are, he is normally able to pick from the list. Something to consider. And I'm totally jealous that you got a holiday just because there were too many weeks without one. Sheesh!

All the best,
Susan

All the best,
Susan

Susan In Texas said...

How did I sign that one twice?

Mistea said...

I see the barcodes - beautiful quilt. The one on the table is gorgeous too. I've had a look around and there are lots of nice quilty things to look at - I too have issues with in the ditch - but maybe I just need more quilting practice in general. Enjoy

Patchmaker said...

Totally jealous of Family Day . . . we don't get it - yet! I see the bar codes, too. Great idea. As for skiing - nothing will get me speeding down a hill on to little pieces of metal - nothing! But I'll cheer you on.