Thursday, April 15, 2010

TWO NEW PROJECTS!











I found these two lovely quilts in a book that I have at the cottage...given to me by my buddy Helen...I love them both.



I honestly have never done applique work. This Dahlia one, (that's the name of the quilt) is a 1930's scrap quilt.



I am of course thinking of more modern colours for the flowers and a more subdued yellow for the sashings.



Not only that, but I am thinking of trying Lap Quilting!
Yep, this is a whole new venture for me. I have been
intrigued by this method, specially so that if I was making a large quilt, wouldn't that be easier? Don't know how the method works, but I've seen a video a few times on it.

Ok, I've watched it a dozen times and for the life of me,
I can't figure the sashings that join the blocks together.



But...and that's a big but (my other one is too) I'm a
great stitch picker, so I suppose I'll figure that out too!





This one is also a 1930s quilt, and I love this pattern, I figure, that I can machine sew the fans together and do the curvey part by hand.


I made the mistake of asking my sweetie what he thought of the quilt with the blue sashings, (which I don't particularly like) and he says that he thinks that it is great with the blue.


What? there is nothing blue in our lives, not even when we are down....blue is not what I would call it!


Ok, so now I'm thinking blue...nope not gonna happen!

I have cut out all the fans using the jelly from American
Jane which is more country, so I'm getting ready to
start this.




Now this one is a Granny Fan quilt, fabric is also from a 1930s stash . I love this one, no sashings, which I couldn't do the lap quilting thing, but more to my liking I think.


I bought muslin fabric yesterday to cut out the 8 1/2" squares that they both go on.


Which to do? Also thinking of making the dahlia one with the Chez Moi fabric. More modern but still I think using only 8 colours to do it.


So, I'm not going to pump out quilts as I usually do. These two look like projects of an undertaking in a whole new direction for me....Helen is getting ready for these two.


We are heading to the cottage for good in the next few weeks, so I'll have them cut out and hopefully started with some semblance of order.


I'm feeling retro!




10 comments :

Leslie said...

these are going to be amazing!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have fun learning the lap quilting - just watch the videos and you should be able to figure it out. I have only done one like that and it was years ago I have though to try it again sometime just haven't gotten around to it.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Shay said...

I cant wait to see what you turn out. Enjoy the cottage. (Do you have room for one more ?)

Barb said...

You certainly have some good quilt choices, they sure remind me of what was on my bed when I was younger. I had the butterfly quilt and loved it and well, the scrappiness is still the same. I am a good picker too...

Crispy said...

Ooooo lovely quilt ideas!! Enjoy your adventure into hand work, once you get the hang of it all you will find it very relaxing :0)

Crispy

Sue-Anne said...

They are all gorgeous quilts and it will be good to see them made up in some more modern fabrics. I particularly like the Dahlia quilt.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Good for you - in taking on these two new projects. One hint - when doing applique it is often a good idea to cut the muslin piece about an inch bigger than called for in the pattern - applique seems to shrink up the background. Then you can cut it to the correct size after you are done appliqueing. Have a great time with these projects.

Trish said...

Those are both great patterns! I'm drawn more to the flower quilting pattern. That's going to be so nice!

Anonymous said...

My first quilt was done with the lap quilting method. It's a lot of handwork, but it's very portable, you can work on it anywhere.

Rose Marie said...

Looks like you are getting yourself geared up for quilting at the cottage. Lap quilting is great (that is how I do mine), but just remember the larger the quilt the more bulk you will have on your lap, over your legs and on the floor.