Wednesday, June 23, 2010

FLYING GEESE TOP IS DONE! FINALLY!





Here is the best photo I could take early this morning of the Flying into Spring quilt top designed by Eleanor Burns.


There is still enough hanging on the other side to hold it to the railing on the deck. I'm taking it home to be sent to the quilting lady in Whitby.

The Cumberland Chick advised that sometimes the long arm quilters do so much quilting that the quilt could be quite stiff. I'm going to make sure that this is done very simply.

Oh here's a question. Do you have everything pressed?
Does she do that? Is there something else I should know?
How is pricing discussed?




She says she has lots of patterns and samples of her
work, but since I've never met anyone else who does
this kind of work, I'm sort of in the lost section here.
Any help would be appreciated.


The quilt is just too big for me to do. Oh here's something else...how much does it usually cost to have a quilt basted? I just can't do the floor thing due to the hip, so that may be an option for future use too since you are answering queries.

.
See the black bag there? Well I got it from Bikini Bay about 5 years ago. The bag was free because I bought 6 outfits that really didn't fit! Well they did till the second week of the holiday! Oh you can identify with that can
you? Now Trish from Compulsive Quilting, she usually
loses weight when she holidays....drinking the water or
some such excuse....twice she gets these mini spa results
during holidays! Kidding Trish!

.
The chair known as BearChairs here in Halliburton was made by my sweetie. We have 8 of them here at the cottage.


Anyway, I used my tape measure, copied it best I could
with the result that I am totally over the moon happy with it. The lining is from Cozumel when Mary and Bob were there last year. I'm making more of these very servicable bags.

.
The outside fabric is left over from indoor/outdoor fabric that I got for $5.00 per metre at Fabricland. I made cushions for the sofas here in the sun room.

.
It washes like a rag, really as I must wash the sofa cushions regularly. For under $30.00 I made five cusions and with the left overs I'm getting creative.

.
You know before I started quilting, I puttered around with sewing. I made some clothes for the kids, for grandkids, was never afraid to try most things. My granddaughter Tory and I went shopping for a bag for her to make to carry her "stuff" it had quilting in the pattern.....I just couldn't do this bag. Now three years later, I look at the bag and wonder why I was so nervous about quilting the little bag.
.
Yep, you know the answer, I'm going to make this bag. I'm also going to do the above bag with quilted fabric next too. I even added extra pockets so that I can use this for grocery shopping just like the black bag.

.
It is very wet here today, we had tropical downpours yesterday, it's humid and I can't believe my sweetie just asked if we wanted to go home early....we shall see.

.
My westie is so dirty he looks grey, I don't think I can even post a photo of him...we had a raccoon visit for the first time in three years and he has been under the cottage, running around in the mud, his feet are black , his face was so muddy that I washed it! He is getting a hair cut on Friday...I may not be able to wait that long for him to clean up! What a mess he is!





10 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Nanci I have never had a quilt machine quilted, but I have heard things - the quilt top should be as close to square as it possibly can be. All seams should be pressed. You can have the quilt custom quilted or edge to edge with a design that is repeated on the whole quilt. Some people say that even if there is tons of quilting in a quilt that once it is washed and dried it is soft like any other quilt - I do not as I haven't felt any or been up close and personal to them. I had a quilt machine basted once and she charged $15.00 other people charge a variety of prices for this service. Most machine quilting is charged per square inch, you can supply backing and batting or they do. They also charge per spool of thread or maybe it is per bobbin? You might want to see a quilt that was quilted by this person before you agree - I had a friend who gave one to a machine quilter to be quilted and was horrified by what she got - a really totally bad job. Always see examples of the work is what I have heard - good luck!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Crispy said...

I too have never sent a quilt out to be quilted. If this lady has examples, it will give you a good feel of her work. I love your bag :0)

Crispy

Sandra Henderson said...

Well FINALLY!!!! tee hee... The devil made me say it! lol
It's beautiful!!! gorgeous! great job! WOW~!
Didn't mean to scare ya about machine quiting. I've had 3 done. I think they were around 100 ea. But,this included the batting and thread. Just ask to see their work, which should NOT be a problem. I'd offer to hand quilt it for ya, but have to charge $5,000.00..... :)
You should press your seams as you go Nanci! tee hee
I'd not worry too much. I think it's going to be fine. Plus, she knows this is your fist quilt to have long armed (is that the terM?), so you get a pass... lol

Love those bags! Being an island girl, you can never have too many bags! I bring mine in the grocery store and put my stuff right in them. I also have some insulated bags for cold stuff. Hey, you want me to mail you some?!?! I get them at Harris Teeter here and they are only like 5.00 on sale! I will. They are great! You can also buy that insulated stuff now to make them with, but for that price, I"ll mail ya some.
Isn't it great to look back and see your progres?!?! FUN! Great job on your bags and cushions. Don't let the word get out, you'll be sewing for everyone on your lake! A Cottage Industry!
Can you throw the pup in the lake? tee hee Sounds like mine... XO

Sandra Henderson said...

P.S.
Great job Nanci's wonderful husband, on the chairs! I'll take two! Do you deliver?

I think your border will be lovely with a design quilted in it. More roses? :)

Bunny said...

Hi you quilt is wonderful. I have had several quilts done on the longarm. Edge to edge or all over patterns are usually the cheapest way to go. When you talk custom that is when they do their own thing and it ususally is much more and takes longer. Find out what she charges before you go. You always press your top and also the back. You will have to tell her what kind of batting you prefer. HTH

Anonymous said...

Most LongArmers charge by the square inch. The last one I used charged 4 cents per square inch for semi custom (both meandering and stitch in the ditch on the top). So a top 80 inches by 60 inches would be 4800 square inches X .04 = $$192.00.

A heavily quilted top would be full custom and would be more money and yes, it would be a little stiff. If you are worried about stiffness you can always use a wool batting, they tend to be softer after quilting. But I don't think you would want it quilted that heavily.

You don't need to have the quilt basted, it goes on the machine attached to poles and there is no basting required.

Iron the quilt and make sure your backing fabric is squared up, and at least 4 inches bigger than the top on all four sides.

Check out her samples before you decide on anything, seeing the different samples will help you decide the type of quilting that you want done.

I would want some type of flowers quilted into the border, or maybe feathers? Hmmm.... good luck deciding! LOL

Wow, I'm not usually this long winded! The quilt is beautiful, I'm sure the quilting will make it even prettier!

Oh and the weight loss thing..... isn't that how everyone does it? While on vacation and too sick to eat? Or the food is so bad that you can't eat? LOL...

Sandra Henderson said...

I remember now. I paid a little extra (not much!) to have her iron the backing fabric and baste it...
Also, I'll hand quilt it for $3,500.00! lol
thought I'd give you a break on the price. lol

Shirley said...

Hi Nanci,
I bet you nearly fell off your chair reading that last comment from Sandra, ha hah. Love the quilt top. I am sure that whatever you choose it will come back looking great.
Shirley.x

Sunshine said...

Hi Nanci,

wow, I think I'm probably repeating what others have said, but here are my 2 cents:

-the longarmers I know charge by the square inch
-they provide their own batting so that they know it works well for them
-definitely don't baste
-I'd ask what the person prefers for pressing seams - some like open some like to one side
-I agree: definitely see a sample. I've seen quite a bit of work by a long armer in my quilt guild and no exaggeration, my quilting on my little sewing machine has nicer stitches than her big longarm - there were really blatant mistakes, that admittedly weren't visible from a distance, but if I want a 'from a distance' quilt, I'll buy one made in China (no offense, I'm sure there are quilters who do beautiful work there, but the Made in China quilts at sears are a disgrace to quilters the world over!)

I think the best approach is to contact the person, say that you're new to this business of having your quilt quilted by someone else and for her/him to tell you all about the process. Then if you're unsure, report back here and we'll give you feedback on what's legit and what's outrageous :) We can be your 'people' as in "I'll go talk to my people and you talk to your people" - do you know what I mean? Suitcase full of money, the Godfather, that type of thing?

Please let us all know if you're husband is starting his chair making business after all the requests above :)

Cheers,
Christine

Sunshine said...

Quite the new look you've got here - when did you change it? It's like some guy I know shaving off his beard, I won't notice for a few days - so I'm racking my brain right now if this site was red the last time I checked your blog! Was it? (Yesterday)