Monday, June 21, 2010

DOG HOUSE DAYS AT THE COTTAGE


When we bought the cottage there was a little "dog house" at the shoreline...almost anyway.
.
We, over the years used it for storing absolutely everything from oil for the boats, gas for the boats, lines for what ever, and assortment of water toys for when the kids were younger and anything else that we could just "put it in the dog house".
.
Well, my sweetie and I could only open the door and just couldn't get in to clean it up year after year. We would wait for the grandkids to come up and they would empty it out, we would sort through the junk and then when it was all tidy we would "put it in the dog house" scenerio all over again.
.
Well, now that the kids are teens, the toys are big toys like ski equipment which is kept in the bunkie (photos another day).
.
All the equipment is neatly stored there as they sleep in the bunkie when they do come up with friends.
.
So, Saturday with Bob and Mary here, the boys took the dog house down. Believe it or not there were three layers of shingles on the roof of this little sucker! And in some place 6" spikes were used to put the roof on.
I think that since shingles had to be carried (by boat) to
the dump that the previous owners just put the extra
shingles on the dog house. It's a wonder the plywood didn't collapse under the weight!
.
I've stated before that this lake is a strange place to be if there is storms in the area. Well here's one of those strange happenings.
.
The sun was shining on our little island but to the east and south there was a rain shower going through which we could see while the guys were demolishing. I took this photo of the rainbow which was huge for about three minutes.

.
Aren't rainbows just the best surprises? We were
expecting the showers to come to us, all the patio
cushions were wrapped and nothing happened.
A few drops fell, with us just sitting under the
canopy of the trees then we unwrapped all the cushions and enjoyed the views.
.
I know I'm supposed to be finishing the you know what, but the weekend was just too busy!
.
Our friends brought up their 93 yr old dad who was just a charmer and so agile getting in and out of the boat that we are sure to have him again this year.
.
Tomorrow, I'm finishing the top of the Eleanor Burns design and moving on to other things. I'm also not going to do the finishing myself. It's just too big for the machine and I do want a long arm design on it.
.
I'm wanting to do other projects that are fun to do, make a few bags, keep myself busy while I am awaiting the date for the old hip to be replaced.







8 comments :

Trish said...

Great photo of the rainbow! I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Deb said...

Did you notice the beginnings of a second rainbow?? I love when the weather is like this up north thanks for sharing great pictures...
Poor ol' dog house.. I am sure you will miss that extra storage though..LOL
Ghee I sure could go for a dive right now..
As for the quilting fall is around the corner and winter.. you will have lots of time then..

Leslie said...

i love a rainbow...life on the island where you are sounds just perfect. i would be thrilled to someday be able to have a place like that.

Crispy said...

I agree, you may end up missing that extra storage space LOL. The rainbow is beautiful, even with all the rain we have been having I haven't seen one yet, this summer.

Crispy

Sandra Henderson said...

Goodness gracous!~Those are beautiful picutes! I could sit and watch forever. What a view...
Funny as I was reading I was thinking of disposal of the dog house. LOL A fact of life when you live on an isalnd. We have the park dumpster on the south end of the island, but imagine it is a boat ride for you.
Can't wait to see your quilting and new projects! When is your his replacement? oh dear.

Twisted Quilts said...

Great pictures of the water. One of the things we like about our beach house is looking at the sky, day and night.

Edna said...

How wonderful your view is! I can imagine sitting there with feet up and happily doing some hand stitching. Did I see you are going to be having a hip replacement? I've had both mine done, so if you'd like to ask me anything, please feel free to do so. *Hugs*

Sue-Anne said...

Beautiful photo of the rainbow Nanci and I feel a little sad that the dog house is being removed. I bet you have lots of memories of the grandkids climbing in there and pulling things out. Good luck with finishing off your quilt and looking forward to seeing those fun things you are planning.