Friday, June 25, 2010

OUR COTTAGE CHAIRS!



Watching for loons is a favourite passing time away activity at our cottage.

Where we are on the lake is about 6 miles out so the water is quite often a bit rough so the loons don't visit that much as they like calm and still waters to dive for their fish.

The loons we see right now at this time of year are the young males who haven't mated. Sometimes we will see as many as a dozen just moving down the lake on a quiet calm day.

This guy was just about 30 ft off our dock. He was
around for about 10 minutes, then he dove, came up
about 4 cottages along the way.


Our chairs which are the favourites of most cottages around, cherished by those that have them, sit on our dock awaiting someone to sit, have a coffee in the early morning watching for loons or waving to who ever is out early.

Canoers who are going on their early morning rides quite often stop by the dock to chat or even sit on the side of the dock to have coffee with us.

At our cottage we are in our sleeping attire till brunch is served, which is usually late in the morning. Everyone
knows we don't move to quickly in the am.

I'm happy to say thank you to Tricia for helping me restore my blog. It's back to almost normal. Wierd wierd day on the blog I tell you.

Thanks everyone who left comments about helping me with the quilting queries. I'm having it basted, I'll quilt it myself....and I should have called Helen who actually was home, but Ididn't know that. Another lesson learned.

16 comments :

Jennifer said...

Very cheerful chairs! Having your quilt basted is a good idea - I try to quilt mine myself, it costs a bomb here to have them professionally quilted.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love those chairs on the dock! what a wonderful view too. Have fun quilting your quilt!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Jocelyn said...

Oh wow, those chairs look great!

Shirley said...

Oh Nanci, It looks so peaceful where you are and I could do with some of that chilling out. The chairs look fantastic.
Shirley.

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

What great chairs! I'd love to sit there and look at the loons, too. Glad you got your blog back.

Sandra Henderson said...

Thank you for the lovely photos this morning! I can hear the loon... Always think of On Golden Pond, remember them while camping in the Adironadacks. Isn't it amazing how long and far they dive??!
Your chairs are so beautiful, I love the colors!!! What a great photo for a card!
Yes, I'm in my pj's till at least noon. Oh!~It's 11:57, have to run change into the quilting godess now! bye! :)

Bunny said...

I will be right over to sit in one of those beautiful chairs. Looks so nice. Happy you got your blog back to normal.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Oh I love your chairs - and the loons - my favorite.

Crispy said...

Oooo I love Adarondack (sp) chairs and your's are so colorful and inviting!! I love listening to loons in the quiet hours of early morning (yep I'm a morning person).

Crispy

Anonymous said...

Meaning no offence to Crispy whom I admire greatly (from reading your blog) we call the chairs "Muskoka" chairs. The origin has been debated for generations but it is of no matter - we all love them regardless of which side of the 49th parallel they sit on. Nanci, NEVER, NEVER take a quilt for basting without running it by me. It costs WAY LESS in my area. We'll be at the lake tonight. G8 permitting. - Helen

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Charming photos! Love the chairs

Barb said...

Love your chairs, can I come and sit a spell?

Pondside said...

Whatever they're called, the chairs are beautiful - and just right for a cup of coffee in the morning or lemonade in the afternoon.
Thanks for visiting - I've had a very nice time looking at your quilts and feeling just a bit nostalgic for life in Ontario in the summer - the loons, the cottage etc. We lived in Ottawa, Bradford, Toronto, Camp Borden, Centralia and Kingston over the years - there's nothing like an Ontario summer!

Shay said...

Nanci,
Prompted by your post I went and priced these chairs at a retailer in my home town this weekend. I thought 8 around my outdoor table would be lovely. I've wanted these chairs for years ...

At 2000.00 AUD I can see I wont be getting these anytime soon. Mr. P better skill up and learn to make 'em.

Pokey said...

Thank you for the cheery post, I love the water photo, so welcoming. And the colorful chairs are, too.
We were visiting in rural Nebraska, and there was a white clapboard house with black trim, with red geraniums in the windowboxes, and two hot pink chairs on the porch. Every time we passed by last week, someone in the car would comment. I am sure that is the draw you offer with your "Hi, there!" colorful chairs! Thanks for sharing, pokey

Nanette Merrill said...

Catching up on your blog. You've got fun stuff going on. I am not looking so much at the chairs but where they are posed! That's the part that I wish for.