Wednesday, June 9, 2010

FLYING GEESE TOP...ALMOST DONE





Ok, I was wrong! Adding more flowers makes this quilt! I have finished putting it together except for the sashings around the sides and the top.


It does look really good. I'm very happy with it. I just don't know whether I can quilt this on my little machine.
I'm going to have to think this through...it's going to be at least 80 " X 90" by the time I'm finished.

That's a lot to do even with my trusty Janome 6600 which has a wider arm.

Can you believe that I actually pressed this with
this little dollar ironing board from Goodwill?


I kept moving the ironing board on the table, just pressing as I went along. My table is 6 ft long so it wasn't too difficult. Time consuming but not difficult.

It's a cold and rainy day at the cottage, I'm a bit chilled working in the sun room, so I think that just getting the room organized will take a bit of time, then, I'm done for the day.

Doesn't your mind wander when sewing? I was wondering how people get their blog names while I was sewing this morning.

I remember when I was setting up the blog, I had no idea what to call it, and I also was worried about spamming or some such, didn't know how secure a name was supposed to be. I think I tried "quilting for fun" or some such thing, and the blogger didn't allow that, so being me....and also not thinking too clearly at the time...I did the "quiltingforfunandmorefun" not realizing that it's such a pain to blog into that!

Now Karen, from "Karensquilting" she was thinking wasn't she? She was one of my early visitors to my blog, she suggested that I shorten it or change it as it was hard (and stupid when I thought about it) so I did "Quilting at the Cottage" because by that time I was here!

Why oh why didn't I do that in the first place? I found some of my favourite (Canadian spelling) blogs by their names. Think of it, "bejeweled quilts", "crispy quilts", "cutting edge", "quilting in my pyjamas" (now that's thinking) and of course the one that just got me was "cumberland island quilting chick" , "happy cottage quilter" and that's just a few!

How does a new blogger come up with excellent catchy names. I'm always thankful that Karen said to change my name. I find it hard to put all the http stuff together, and I'm the creator!

See what happens when I'm alone in a room with geese and flowers...it boggles even my mind! If I didn't mention your name here, it's not that yours isn't unique, it's just that there are too many to mention, but my blog roll has many interesting names. Wombats, Giraffes, with doodles and whatever else has our interests.

We are a crazy bunch, we quilters!



19 comments :

Hand Quilting Nana said...

I love this quilt and you've done an excellent job it looks like. I have my fabric and the pattern and I am ready to start on mine except a few family emergencies have precluded my starting this project right now.

Hopefully in the future I'll be able to make it. I had not realized how big this quilt is. Guess I didn't read that part. I would like for mine to be smaller but not sure that would work.

Anyhow glad to see yours. It's beautiful.

Linda

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

The quilt is just lovely - and in my favorite colors.

I picked my blog name - pieceful afternoon - for obvious reasons - piecing and peace seemed to fit for me.

Leslie said...

what a funny and interesting thing to think about. i like the name of your blog.

Shirley said...

Hi Nanci,
When I was thinking of a name for my blog I googled the name each time to see what would happen and each time I thought I had a great angle so did quite a few others. In the end I came up with stitcherydo because my friends husband calls it stitchery class and we do more talking than sewing so it had to be stitchery do. When I googled it - nothing. My friend Wendy's is wendyswistfulquilts. That goes well.
Interesting thoughts.
Love the quilt. It is very pretty.
Shirley.

Trish said...

The quilt looks great! You are right, the additional flowers do the trick!! I thought and thought about my blog name for a while. I think I own 5 (4 abandoned and 1 active) blogs while I was trying to come up with my blog name. I just kept telling myself I love all things crafty... and the name stuck AllThingsCrafty.

Penny said...

This is going to be a wonderful quilt. Glad you didn't give up when you were disillusioned.Carry on and keep warm. Going to be cool and wet for the next few days.

Sarah Craig said...

The quilt does look so much better with the extra flowers! Glad you found a way to make yourself happy with it. And I know what you mean about long blog names - mine is confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com. Whew!!! There should be a book with tips about setting up a blog!

Barb said...

What a fun quilt...and yes, it looks better with more flowers...

Crispy said...

The quilt is lovely Nanci, I'm so glad you are much happier with it now....that Helen, what a great mentor :0)

My blog name was easy, my family calls me Christy or Crispy and I quilt TA DA!! LOL I like it a lot as it distinguishes me from all the other Chris' out in blog land :0)

Crispy

Anonymous said...

It does look better for the extra flowers. Lovely quilt. :)

Lori Holt said...

I agree...I love the added flowers...and your wandering mind LOL!
x
lori

Jocelyn said...

You are so right Nanci, it is a wonder about blog names. The day I sat down and decided to make a blog, I just wrote out Happy Cottage Quilter, and no one had already used it :-) It can be so amusing to see some blog names. But we cottage gals have to stick together, right??

Sue-Anne said...

Your quilt looks gorgeous Nanci, well done! I always knew I wanted to call my blog Buddy & Me, but when it came time to enter the name, it was rejected so I had to use the URL address I have now. Like you, I regret it because I have two - (hyphens) in it and it is a pain to type!

Sandra Henderson said...

I knew my ears were burning and should have come over here... Now I see you were talking about me!!! :)
Love your top! More is more!
You are just confirming all sort of thought I have for me today!~Thank you! My mind wanders while I'm quilting also... I sure can think of some stuff.

Sandra Henderson said...

P.S. (again!)
I love your blog name!
Mine just came about because of where I live, I have chickens and I quilt.... :)

Twisted Quilts said...

You have the greatest blog name. I had such a hard time deciding and I really don't like mine. I am a Nana and I love the North Carolina Tarheels whose team color is blue! Kind of goofy.

Sunshine said...

*Grins* - thanks for the honourable mention :) I don't remember what other names I had in mind or why I decided against them. I was cutting a lot of fabric at the time, so I guess cutting edges was on the tip of my tongue ;)
Now I just have to live up to the blog title and make cutting-edge quilts :)

Suze said...

my blog name came from my personal logo..which is my initals made into a snail..it's actually supposed to be CARACOL, which is Spanish for snail..but I misspelled it when I was registering so its 'Caricol Creations'..oh well..as DH says, makes it just a wee bit more unique..

Rose Marie said...

Wow .... what a difference more flowers make .... this is going to be wonderful!

My blog name came to me because I love applique and 9 patch blocks .... it was simple.