Saturday, June 12, 2010

HOW'D YOU PICK YOUR BLOG NAME?


I was surprised at the responses for naming our blogs!
So, how'd you pick yours if you haven't answered me in my musings of the other day!
Canada has this image of some such stuff that I never identify with, speaking of names .
.
Look at how Australia is viewed. Yes we all identify with the didgereedoo (spelling phonetically) It says it all. An instant picture comes into our minds.
.
Of Course with the world cup of soccer being the biggest event in the world except North America I think. Look at how Brazil is depicted.
.
Now Brazil has such a name that
we think of beaches, women and men partying to rythyms
that have long passed through this body.
Then comes Canada amongst many of the depictions that were done.
.
What can I say? We get a moose! A moose for goodness sake! It's always wild life, natives, tepees and totems all of which I've never seen and most people haven't either except if you live in BC.
.
Of Course British Columbia has it all, great climate, the mountains, the totem poles, the rivers and lots of native culture....if I believe what I saw at the Olympics.
.
.
So what's your name? Just how much thought went into
your image of your blog?
.
I got a response from Cumberland Island Chick....yeah I first thought blond etc....turns out she has chickens! What a hoot! I couldn't have been more off...chickens for goodness sake!
.
So tell me, how'd you pick your name? Karen, and Crispy...that's your names!
.
And Barb: Bejeweled quilts...I thought it was the colours of her batiks! Nope she likes that game...me too but isn't that cool?
.
Roz-Counterpane...she loves poetry...I thought that was her name...
.
I like mine...Quilting at the Cottage....and I thank Karen for making me change if from "quiltingforfunandmorefun" that's a mouthful and some of us have learned the lesson the hard way.
.
I'm going home for a couple of days to see my mother. She will be 91 yrs old next month and I just feel the need. She misses me here at the cottage when she can't see me so often.
.
So, how'd you do it?




15 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

first Mike made me a web page to put photos of all my quilts on so simply named it Karen's Quilts. The blog came a year or so after the web page. We were going to be doing some traveling and I thought of Quilting on the Road - but we weren't full timing so that wouldn't work for most of the year. The blog would be on daily life besides quilting so Quilts, Etc. was born as most of what I do is quilting it seems!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

My mom's name was Dorothy and she was sometimes called Dotty as a girl. My middle name is Jane. I had someone ask me if it was "dotty" as in "crazy" and that could be pretty close! Maybe a little unbalanced anyway:)

Have a good visit with your mom!

Shay said...

In the interests of international relations Nanci, I need to let you know that those Aussie pics are actually boomerangs...lol

Agreed on the Canadian thing- If I had seen that picture without your explanation I probably would have thought of Alaska.

And I changed my blog name to QIMP one day when I made a joke on my blog about always being in my pyjamas when I quilted - because I kinda get into a zone when I quilt and manage to remain in my pj's all day. And I thought "Yep-I'm changing the name ". And I did , which is why my url and blog name dont match!

Sue-Anne said...

Very clever pictures representing different countries and I agree with QIMP, I would have thought Alaska with the Moose, not Canada.

Jennifer said...

What, no beaver for Canada? or at least a Maple Leaf?
I chose my blog name because one of my wombats is made of bronze, and (I believe) is only one of three in the whole world.

Crispy said...

It's fun reading the comments....I'll have to remember to come back and read any new ones :0)

Crispy

Patchmaker said...

My name came from the old song "Matchmaker, Matchmaker, Make Me a Match . . . ." I had "The Log Cabin Textile Company" back in the day, with no thought of changing the name, but when I moved from Manitoba to Nova Scotia and had to register a new company, Patchmaker was definitely it, and I use it for blog, website, license plate, everthing.

Maggie

Jocelyn said...

Nanci, what day is your Mother's birthday? My father in law will be 91 next month too!!

Dresden Quilter said...

I chose my name because the Dresden Plate was one of the first blocks I ever made.

Sandra Henderson said...

Your posts always make me smile! :)
I am so happy your are going to see your mother... Hope you are having a lovely time!

Yes, I live on Cumberland Island, quilt and have chickens... lol
so: it had to be The Cumberland Island Quilt Chick. Of course, I am also lucky that the name wasn't taken since not so much associated with Cumbersome and quilting. Or chickens for that matter... Lol

XO

Carol E. said...

Mine is GiraffeDreams. It goes back to the day years ago when I read the book "Out of Africa." She has an absolutely poignant section on giraffes being taken from Africa and destined for stinky, dirty zoos in Europe and elsewhere, wondering where the beautiful velde and the big, blue sky went. It just touched my heart so much, and I instantly fell in love with giraffes. So I guess it has to do with giraffes dreaming of their home in Africa, and hopefully living their dream instead of being stuck in a zoo somewhere. It has absolutely nothing to do with quilting!

Edna said...

My blog name Needling Things came from a conversation I had with my grandson. He came in one day when I was sitting in my comfy chair doing some hand work. He asked me what I was 'needling'. I told him and he said, G'ma, you're ALWAYS needling things. I had to look it up, but needling is a REAL word meaning to sew or stitch.

Unknown said...

How'd I miss this post Nanci? I got my name..."Sewlmate Sister' from our weekly stitching group...Sewlmates...It has great meaning to me, as we are a group of Quilting Friends who actually got together because we were new in town and had left our other friends behind in other cities! We became more than quilting friends , we became Soulmates . I have made wonderful friends from all over the world through quilting.

Bunny said...

I chose Creative Hare because I love to create things and my name is Bunny LOL Great question. I am in Canada too

qltmom9 said...

When I had EIGHT children, my oldest ds was setting up an email account for me...he is just good and quick about computer things. He was in a hurry and asked for a name for my email. I hadn't thought about a name at all, but said, "Let's go with qltmom" thinking of license plates. Since he thought there should be a number, I told him to put how many children I had, thinking he'd put 8. We did NOT intend to have any more children. When he put "qltmom9" accidentally, I was a bit perturbed, but too busy to bother with it. Then child #9 came along, and we are all SO happy to have her...and, ds is pretty happy with the "mislabeling" he started. LOL!