Monday, June 7, 2010

NO TITLE FOR THIS BLOG!


I didn't take this photo, I got it from the web shots or something like that!
.
I have a passion for these pesky little demons! They are fiercely protective of their territory, will defend it to the death practically.
.
Having said that....where are they? I have two! In years passed, we would have at least six pairs for the summer and then when the babies arrived, I would be changing the feeders constantly to provide food.
.
In the past three years our hummers are all but gone!
I talk to other people on the lake who put out feeders
that also say the same thing. The season starts out well. There were at least six this year, then overnight the four just disappeared.
.
I know that we have had cool summers for the last few years, but still, the flowers bloom, the insects (they eat 1/4 of their bodyweight each day) are there for them to eat, but they have literally all but disappeared from our lake.
.
My friend in the city says that she has only two, one pair. There must be something going on that we are not yet aware of because we should have hummingbirds!
.
We had a rainy weekend, so had a dinner party with good friends and good wine albeit homemade awesome red that was brought. Amazing what the little make your own operations can do!
.
My sweetie made the best steaks outside of the best steakhouse restaurant! He does need a bit of practice so that he isn't so stressed over it, but he did a great job!
.
Ok, ok, I'm going to tell you of the "quilt". Helen suggested that I add more flowers! She's right darn it all! I must add more to it to make it look right. We put a few of the extras on the rows so as to see and I'm going to add some. Also suggested was that maybe I make them a bit smaller to make me happier. So that's the plan when I go over to the other side of the room where it is looking at me and begging for completion!
.
Of course the weekend has passed, the weather is wonderful, so we are heading to get some flowers for our deck. There is a fabulous nursery down the road about 30 miles that brings in the best baskets. Instant colour! Maybe the hummers will come back!
.
Can you believe it? I just couldn't come up with a title?

10 comments :

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

The hummer count is down here, too. Only one pair so far and they were later than usual. They do get a little wild at the feeder:)

Trish said...

Seems to be the same in PA. We have two feeders out and don't see them as much as last year. I think we have seen about 2 or 3 and we have two feeders.

Crispy said...

I rarely see hummers here but my son's garden in Seattle is thick with them, maybe they are all hanging out at his house....

Crispy

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Maybe the weather in general dictates the number of hummingbirds in one location. I've only seen one here so far - but usually I don't see many.

Barb said...

My friend in Texas has a ton of them every year, I will have to ask him if that is the case this year as well..

Val - Apple Cottage said...

Those little birds are beautiful. I wish I could tell you they've moved here, but we've never seen them in our part of the world.

Sue-Anne said...

thanks for the pic of the hummingbird, shame you have only had a couple visit. I hope they are all going somewhere else and not declining in numbers.
Looking forward to seeing the extra flowers on your quilt.

Quiltgal said...

LOVE THOSE LITTLE HUMMERS. Sounds like you had a lovely weekend.

Sandra Henderson said...

We have the USDA man here with the hogs. He says they have Canadian geese over in mid to west GA that are becoming a problem because they've figured out they don't have to fly back..
I wonder if the hummers have figured out they don't ahve to go so far?
Can't wait to see that darned quilt! Glad you had a nice dinner party.

Nanette Merrill said...

The quilt is lovely in the last post. Your steaks sound great. You can have our magpies if you need more birdies!! ;-) yes, I know they are no substitute. But I want to get rid of them.