Sunday, July 10, 2011

SUNNY SUNDAY SENTIMENTS!

I always just love to post one of my dear friend Helen's quilts.  This is for a young guy in Newfoundland where Helen and family are going to visit.  A lucky little fellow with his name labeled on the back.

Helen loves little fiddly works; so she copied a label to paper then copied that by fine pen onto cloth.
I couldn't post the photo, but needless
to say it's perfect.

It;s  a sign, strawberry season is almost over here in Ontario.  OMG...we are half way into July already.  Where does time go?

This year we didn't have much rain so the berries weren't very big, however these babies came from a Menonite farm that sells produce from other local farms.  No pesticides here as all their produce is done organically.  We noted that they do buy from wholesalers at times and the woman at the counter said that yes they did, but, when their products are available they use local farmers.

My little brave puppy is doing well.  His eye is black but there doesn't appear to be any discomfort anymore.  He still bumps into everything being a conehead till next Saturday, but he's doing well.

I'm making slip covers for the great room.  I will post the event when done as I worked for about two hours on the first cover yesterday trying to figure out how to make a square corner.  The first was easy, it was the second one that was a dewsy.  Helen arrived in the afternoon to guide me through my problem....Oh now I know how to do it!  Honestly, I do have to be shown visually so many things.

Cottage weather is fabulous, although we could use some rain I think as everything around us is quite dry.  Yesterday, the traffic on the lake was like Grand Central Station!  The first two weeks of July, and the first two of August are the busiest on the lake.  After those two weekends, people from far away, close their cottages and put the boats away.  A shame as many cottages are only used for a couple of weeks.

Our (formerly new) neighbours are enjoying the season immensely, and one knows that there are young children around, when around 9 am the boat starts up and off they go tubbing  which brings peels of cheers.

I'm off to sew..wish me luck.
ps. does anyone use google reader, and if so let me know about it.  I need to send instructions to a friend.
thanks in advnce.

7 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I use Google reader but Mike walked me through it a couple years ago and I haven't a clue now how I even got it on my computer - I am awful at the computer!
Love Helen's quilt - the cottage and island sound like such fun.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Barb in Florida said...

Hi Stranger!
I LOVE your friend's quilt. White backgrounds really make the colors pop. The name label sounds excellent. I wish that you were able to take a picture of it.
Lake like looks grand!
Barb

Barb said...

I just love your cottage life, how wonderful to live by water.

The quilt is sooooo happy and fun...mind passing the strawberries?

Susan In Texas said...

Gorgeous quilt. Tell Helen "Well done!" Now you've gotten me really curious about the label. 8)

Enjoy the (brief) summer,
It's hotter than Heck down here, but I love it!
Susan in Texas

Jennifer said...

Sounds as life in your cottage is all good!

Shay said...

Im envious of your life at the cottage . It just seems like such a slow paced wonderful place to be.

Great quilt! Helen really is a whizz isnt she?

Mmmmmmmm strawberries...delicious.

Crispy said...

As usual Helen's quilt is beautiful!! What a great trip they will have. I've never attempted making slip covers and look forward to seeing yours :0)

If your friend has a blog, getting to Google Reader is very easy. Go to the Dashboard, scroll down to the bottom of the Reading List area and click on "View in Google Reader". This will take you to Google Reader and then save it to Favorites. To add a newly found blog to the reader, either Follow the blog when visiting it or ADD the URL to the Dashboard, then click "View in Google Reader" again. Hope this helps :0)

Crispy