Monday, July 11, 2011

WEEK END PROJECT AT THE COTTAGE

 Last week I did ask for a few hints regarding the recovering of sofa cushions.  Well, my friend Helen gave me the best lesson in making square corners.

These two sofas were an impulse buy about 10 years ago.  I hated the backs as they were so bulky and out they went.  I have had different pillows over the years to put along the back and people makethemselves very comfy smooshing pillows behind themselves.

I also have made different seat covers over the years.

Well this spring, I really noticed the wear and tear of people and of course the dogs....so, this is what I did.

I bought a solid piece of foam for the seats.  Then, my sweet cut the former seats down to seventeen inches for these to become the back.

We used a table saw, which unfortunately had to be cleaned afterwards as the glue from the batting and the foam really made a mess.  I didn't have an electric knife here as I know this is really a good way to cut foam.

Saturday, I only managed to do the seats, but Sunday, I was a whirling girl....I actually measured, cut and was able to sew the five backs. 

Not only that, but looking through a magazine, I noticed this fabric is also part of the Lazy Boy collection for their reclyners.  How good is that?

Her is Brooke Shields, sitting on the same fabric.

The total cost for the project was about $240.00.  I bought the fabric on sale, once at 30% and then 50% when I decided to do it right.  The foam was the most expensive. 

So, now that this is done, I'm going to try and get some quilting done. 

15 comments :

Anonymous said...

Bravo Nanci! They look fabulous and a bargain to boot. What a girl!
Cheers,
Helen (your P.T.)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice cushions - one way to cut the foam is with your rotary blade - you can go just so deep but then have some one else spread the cut part apart a little and go at it again. The blade normally handles it really well.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Larri said...

Nice job, Nanci! Love the fabric choice. Isn't nice to sit upon something you refinished? Happy Monday! ☺

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Great job! Looks pretty comfy:)

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Your cushions look great. And such a cheerful, summery print...perfect for a sunroom.

Shay said...

They look fabulous! I love re-upholstering furniture and making it look almost new again.

Bet you're pleased with the finished results!

Deb said...

Nanci those seats just look so inviting! Be careful Brooke may want them for her own home!!
I bet everytime you enter that room your chest puffs and you say Ìdid that!!

Barb said...

Looks sooooo smashing!!! Great jog!

quiltingnana said...

great job

Jennifer said...

You have done a great job....your furniture looks brand new, and very up-to-the-minute!

Crispy said...

WOW you did a wonderful job on the cushions!! How wonderful to have Brooke's stamp of approval too :0)

Crispy

Shirley said...

Now come on Nanci, why were you not posing elegantly on your fabulous new look furniture? It looks a great job and well on trend.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Wow!! They came out great!! I love that fabric!! Good job!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Great job - and I just love the fabric. It reminds me of my grandma's cottage, yet so in style right now too. I know how hard those cushions are to cover!!!!

Karen said...

What a fabulous makeover Nanci. I love the pictures of your cottage.