Friday, August 31, 2012

WINNING KIDS! FAVOURITE THINGS FRIDAY

 We spent the last eleven day doing what grandparents love to do....we cheered for our grand kids.

While winning is a lot of fun, participating in what you love is so much more of the experience.


We were in Dartmouth Nova
Scotia for the Canadian Canoe Championships....had fabulous weather too which can be iffy due to the coastal waters.

Our grandson Jeremy won a bronze medal in his race of a lifetime...he was the youngest of the competitors....we were so proud, and his poppa was reduced to whisper voice after the event what with all the cheering he did.

Me?  I sound too shrill, so I let the man cheer for him, and  his mother whistle like she has never done.

Then he also got a silver medal with his partner in a very exciting and other 1000 metre race.

 There was more to this week than winning, but I could get maudlin as I haven't even mentioned the sister that comes with this team...that is for another day! 

We met the Olympians who had returned to share their stories of the Olympics, also the clubs who counted about 20 from across Canada who came to cheer the events of the week.

My sweetie still has not completely recovered his voice from cheering so many athletes that we know.  There were some races that didn't come out like we wished, but as all the parents and friends who were there applauded all the athletes as they crossed the line, it made me proud of the sportsmanship in this sport.




3 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

congrats to the kids for the wins that they got == the fun that they most likely had was probably the best reward.

Jennifer said...

Congratulations to your grandson!

quilton said...

Hurrah! Congratulations to all. I love to cheer my grands on. I think sometimes they wish I stayed home. They'll have these memories for a lifetime.