Tuesday, August 28, 2012

OLD QUILTS FROM HOLIDAY TRIP

 We have been on holiday to the maritime provinces.

We went to the Canadian Canoe Championships in Dartmouth Nova Scotia.

Stopping over in Maine for a few days of visiting with relatives
resulted in my taking many photos of quilts from the 20s and 30s.

This first was done in the 1930, all hand done by the mother in law of my aunt.


It is a large double with the bright yellow sashing giving the quilt the proper "pops" it deserves.

The little butterfly quilt on the right must weigh 30 lbs...really really heavy as there is a wool finish on the back side.  It has been tied, so it will be easy to take apart I think.   I am wondering how to make this into a lighter quilt, and how to wash the little blocks.  My aunt would love to restore this quilt to use.  There are two of them!

Do you think some of these old quilts are worth the trouble to restore?  I hope so as I really want to make a quilt of the usable blocks from these quilts.  I do think the woman who made these two (three really) quilts liked yellow as much as me.  Both are done with yellow sashings!

I have many more photos to post, but am just saying that I am back to hopefully, a more normal life of sewing and getting on with quilting as the fall season will be upon us so soon.

I missed my blogging!




6 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

if the quilt is tied you should be able to just remove those ties and put in the kind of batting you want and the kind of backing and redo. Is the fabric still good - if it isn't worn it should work out ok.
Karen

Quiltgal said...

Gorgeous Quilts

quilton said...

Nanci, I wouldn't do anything to the first quilt. The value of it will be greatly reduced. It looks like it is in very good condition. The second one being tied would be easy enough to restore, but what condition is the fabric in. I think that's the key for both of them.

Shay said...

Lovely vintage quilts Nanci! I agree with Karen , it shouldnt be too hard to unpick a tied quilt and then re quilt them with other backing and batting. Go for it girl!

Jennifer said...

I'm with Bev, I would leave the first quilt alone - it doesn't seem to need any work. The butterfly quilt should be fairly easy to take apart and assess its condition. As for washing the butterfly quilt, gentle hand-washing is the way to go.

Barb said...

I think they are worth it, they are are soooooooooo beautiful!