Friday, January 2, 2009

WINTER IN CANADA



I didn't write this poem, it comes from another site.


I'ts winter in Canada

And the gentle breezes flow

seventy miles an hour

And it's 40 below.


Oh how I love Canada

when the snow's up to your butt

You take a breath of winter

and your nose closes shut.


Yes the weather her is wonderful

So I guess I'll hang around

I could never leave Canada

I'm frozen to the friggin ground!
I loved this.
Now I think this is a funny poem and certainly pertains to our usual weather here in the frozen north. However today is a balmy day and it was fun walking in the sunshine.
I don't know what it is, but I'm not in a quilting mode. I have the bright quilt on the machine, needle in the down position and ready to stipple some more, but just don't feel up to it. Maybe tomorrow I will. I saw where crazymomquilts aka Amandajean has done 34 quilts this year. 34!
I thought I was going blazes with 10 done and another couple to finish, but I hold nothing on her.
She says her quilts aren't that large so can make a lot of them, but she's sore from all that quilting!
Well hurrah for those of us that are just humans doing a little bit at a time. I am more concerned with getting a pattern to work than sometimes in the end product. Oh yeah and not cutting out enough squares etc to make 5 quilts! My new year resolution is to try and do the math with some semblance of normalcy. Really, I must read where it says "total".
I am going to make Kelly's amazing banana bread recipe today. She usually "doesn't follow the recipes Nana" says Courtney, but Kel wrote this one down, so here's hoping it works as well for me. If it does, I will post it even though I don't do the recipe thing.
I do have a recipe given to us by Monica because we threatened her for years for this particular recipe. Now Monica is not a cook persay, she just looks beautiful and is always helpful, but she does have this secret recipe that she brought for years to gatherings. Well after about 10 years she finally gave it to us. Dawn and I couldn't believe how simple it was.
So if you ask me for it, I shall send it privately. It's that good and that easy...
The banana bread is a different matter. If it works out, I'll definitely post it here.
I smell the rotten bananas waiting to be cooked!

5 comments :

Barb said...

Just dropped by to thank you for entering my giveaway and to check out your blog...I too love that magazine below.

pwl said...

I've been looking for an easy and low-sugar banana bread recipe for a while for my diabetes ('cuz I love banana bread).

I find it's not worth stressing over how many quilts one makes in a year. I've made 2 quilt tops this year - and one of them is very small - the other was a baby quilt. I've crocheted several snuggles, and some squares for blankets4canada. But I also work 4 days a week, and have other interests in my life too. I would love to have made as many as YOU have made. It's all a matter of perspective.

By the way, I love the grill that you mentioned a couple of months ago. Just so you know ;-)

Lisa Pogue said...

I love the poem. Only a trueblood would love his own country like that wouldn't you say. I complain that I will move to warmer weather if I could afford it. But truth be known, I'd miss the seasons of Missouri. Anything with banana sounds wonderful to me!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I didn't make as many quilts this year as I have in some. I did complete from start to finish 4 quilts all hand quilted variety of sizes and I finished my first Dear Jane top at the beginning of the year. I also have two more tops finished waiting to be quilted. I do not see how anyone can make 34 in one year!
Like your poem - made me smile and remember winter in Wisconsin and Idaho!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Liz said...

Sounds like winter in Michigan, too. I'm about an hour south of Sault Ste. Marie so I know all about those 40 below days.