Saturday, February 28, 2009

NOW THIS IS A CHALLENGE!



See that carpet of flowers? Well it's an annual exhibition in Brussels. These photos are from last year!. Isn't that amazing? This all started in 1971 apparently to promote the beauty of begonias and all the colours of this plant.

Each year this carpet is produced using flowers, mulch and a few other materials to create this effect.

I bet they could do a dear jane quilt with the flowers too!

I have seen in magazines, paintings on outhouses, barns, sidings showing quilt blocks and a flower one would be a challenge. Enjoy the photos which I received by email.


You can see from the second photo how they
arrange the flowers and start the process.
Ok, it is a lot of bending over and I could not possible try this, but you get the idea.




The third photo is of the ground level display of all the flowers in this square.




My daughter Kelly who loves, and I mean loves
to garden is speechless now looking at this magnificent carpet of flowers! Try that Kel!

The cold has returned to Southern Ontario with a vengeance and so I am going to try to quilt another top that has been awaiting my pleasures.

I know that the cold isn't going to last for long, and just the little enticement of spring has brought the deer to my neighbours back fence. She saw five of them yesterday, just walking along the fence nibbling at the vines which had some leaves and berries left over that the birds had not eaten. She didn't take a photo as she thought that they would see her and run! They did that when the dog moved a bit and they were gone! I know that some of you see them all the time in your areas, but we live in a subdivision! The greenbelt that surrounds some of this area isn't that isolated so it was with joy that Mary saw the deer!




5 comments :

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Hi Nanci,
This picture is just spectacular and you're right, it would be a great Dear Jane quilt. You should send them the idea!
~Karen~

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that certainly is beautiful - it does look like an oriental carpet doesn't it.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Susan In Texas said...

Hi Nanci,
Awesome blooms. I was trying to get a close up of how the flowers are placed. They aren't cut flowers, are they? Tiny little pots perhaps? Who knows!

Thanks for sharing,
Susan

pwl said...

Speaking of signs of spring, DH and I are sure we heard a robin this morning. Silly bird. The worms are still thawing out!

Kaaren said...

Nanci, the flowers are awesome. Did you do post these photos just to tease us? (wink) Your orange challenge quilt is absolutely awesome! I just love the colors. They remind me of orange and lime sorbet...my favorite! This is my first visit to your blog and I've certainly enjoyed my stay.