Sunday, February 22, 2009

WHAT COLOUR WILL JUST POP THESE SQUARES?

Ok, I can't decide which colour to do the strips between these orange squares. I have looked at all the possiblities and it's hard to decide.
So the examples below are what I have come up with. I did think of yellow too, but just didn't do that one because it's a bit overwhelming.
I like the green best I think as it really pops the squares and there's a bit of green in the patterns.
I also liked that bias fabric, but then I'd have to square up the diagonals and I just know I couldn't do that. It's too hard for me to do.
I think the orange is just too much. And the white is the same, just a lot of white.
I'd like to do the sashings vertical and horizontal, keeping them the same.
I'm leaving it and will decide tomorrow I think.
This has been very fun to do and very quick I must say. I may try this with other colour combinations just for the fun of it.
I also think that 4" sashings and the binding being orange with the back being one of the sasing colours just might do it. I also thought to use the pattern of white print that is on the square too for the back.
A dilemna in the making here.















12 comments :

free indeed said...

I like the third one down the best. My first impression when I looked at it was of looking out a window at a flowering trellis....that's what it spoke to me anyway! I know things can say something else in person, but in a photo that is what came out...that's my story and I'm sticking to it! I do like that large floral you used...it is very pretty in the block.

pwl said...

I like the green - but I'm wondering if a bit narrower might work a little better? It seems a little overwhelming at the size shown. (On the other hand - what do I know?) :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like the 2nd one down :) you are going to get too many opinions LOL
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Unknown said...

actually Karen, that's the one I thought at first too.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I am a plain old gal, I like the white, bright clean and simple, that's just my two cents for what it is worth!

quilter000 said...

well all of the colors work but I agree with the gal on the size of the sashing the ones you are showing is too big so size it down about 1/2 instead.
MHO which you asked us all for
Quilter000

Lisa Pogue said...

I'm not a quilter but I'll give you my 2 cents, I like the green the best. I like the suggestions of making the space a little narrower though. My second 2 Cents is the first one. It's very springy!!

Roberta said...

I'm usually all about color but I also like the white sashing. I also agree that it would be better if it was narrower. Depending on how you quilt it, it could be a very striking quilt!

Anonymous said...

Oh my...green.

sophie said...

Would you consider trying a light blue? I think I see a little blue in the print with stars--something close to that shade of blue would make the complementary orange blocks pop. I agree with Roberta and would try a narrower sashing. If the quilt needs to be bigger, add another border.

(But that's just my $.02 . . . never lose sight of the FACT that it's YOUR QUILT ;-)

Anonymous said...

why dont you ask your husband.from your previous blogs, he certainly appears to be a man of supperior intelligence and good taste.

Unknown said...

I suspect that the person who wrote the "anonymous" comment has now learned how to comment! Thanks sweetie.