Monday, March 23, 2009

DO YOU HAVE THIS FLOWER IN YOUR GARDEN



This is my favorite flower. Monarda or bee balm as it is commonly known. The reason I like this flower is, it's a perennial and the hummingbirds go crazy flitting from flower to flower all summer long. It blooms forever and even though it can get mildew on it, the flower still blooms.

When we return to the cottage next month, the first outside chore I do is clear and cut the bee balm, transfer plants to new locations and await their blooms.

The hummers arrive around May 8th -10th and are so hungry from their travel from Centra America that I usually have about 5 feeders out for them. Last year we didn't have any more than 6 that stayed around for the season, and that was very disappointing as we usually get more than double that for the feeding frenzies of the evening. But it was so cold last spring and I think that the little things stayed further south and just didn't move even after the warmup. We are near Algonquin Park in Northern Ontario, so it's a trek for them and the springs can be cool. I just love seeing these birds as it's a sign that we are awaiting lovely days.

Quilting at the cottage is a lovely passtime as I sit at a table in our greatroom with 3 sides of windows and can see lake, sky and trees without turning my head. It's such peaceful place for us and this year I am taking sewing machine and table to keep up my hobby.

This past weekend was so lovely that we sat outside with coffees in hand and chatted with the neighbours. It is a time of year when, after such a long brutal winter all of us emerge from our dens and face a new beginning!

11 comments :

Crispy said...

I'll have to remember that plant, if it's a perinnial in Ontario it would work great in ND. I love watching hummingbirds but they tend to ignore my feeder, someone must have a better recipe than my standard, store bought one.

Crispy

free indeed said...

I have some of this here in Northern Maine and just love it! It makes such a nice cut flower for arrangements too.

Dionne said...

Wow, beautiful! I am such a lazy gardner. If a plant needs transplanting or even more care than weeding and watering they are out of luck. Which is why I love all the pictures of beautiful gardens. So I'll live vicariously through you!
Cheers,
Dionne

Barb said...

I don't think I have ever seen one of those but you are right, it is very pretty.

Karen said...

I love Monarda. It smells wonderful. I have a patch or two in my garden.

Mam said...

We have it in our side garden, but in blue not red. I saw the red bee balm last summer for the first time at a friend's cottage and fell in love with it. I'll have to find red bee balm this spring.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like an enjoyable time - do you stay at the cottage the whole warm season? Bee Balm is pretty but I have never seen it here that I can think of - but I have seen it in northern states. I love hummingbirds, we will have them here from April until November, I always put out a couple feeders, sometimes we have a lot and sometimes it is only a small amount.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Lisa Pogue said...

I've seen that plant before but did not know anything about it. It is beautiful. Anything to draw hummingbirds has to be good!!

Wendy said...

I don't think I've seen that plant, maybe it doesn't grow in BC. Your cottage sounds wonderful, to be sitting and sewing with nature all around.

Anonymous said...

I do have Bee Balm in my garden. I LOVE it. You're right it does attract hummingbirds like crazy!! I can't wait for my flowers to bloom, but it will be a while...

Anonymous said...

Monarda are my favorites also.
Did you ever taste them yourself ?
You pick the red part and there's a kind of honey juice in it. It's wonderfull in a salad to.

Anik