Friday, June 26, 2009

HERE'S THE NEW SOFA COVERS!

I am not an experienced sewer by any means. But I decided to recover the cottage sofa cushions when I found this sturdy fabric for $5.00 per metre. It wasn't the easiest to sew although I used heavy thread and pinned a lot. I am awful at zippers, I mean awful so this was quite stressful for me to do. My friend Dawn who is like me and doesn't profess expertise either, but boy can she do zippers! So when in the city, she does all the zipper stuff for me. Well I did my best and I am not taking photos of the zipped backs.

I can't believe the difference it gives the room,
so much more airy and light. I wanted this change
for a long time. I still have some pillow backs to do
and think I should have bought 20" size cushions
instead of the 18". but I can also put some of
these outside on the deck furniture if I get to that. Wilson loves the new covers too. As soon as I put them on, he hopped up and went to sleep


The plants seem to be recovering from the shock
of yesterday although the bidens really will have to be trimmed quite a bit. Otherwise all are looking pretty good. I was so worried because you know I paid so much for these plants and I did not anticipate having to spend any more money on flowers this summer!

My hummers seem to have mostly disappeared. I haven't really seen any males for a while, and the few females that come to the feeders are just in and out, so I think the eggs are laid and incubating
or maybe the babies are born. I have seen other
little young birds recently and so I am anticipating
young hummers.

I must finish painting the black chairs if the weather permits tomorrow. Then I don't have any other projects scheduled except making quilts.

I haven't made one in at least 6 weeks, so I am a bit antsy to start . I do have a top finished, but I think I'm cutting and sewing nine patch squares next week.

You can see the old red covers here on the photos and how so much brighter the new ones are. I was also thinking of painting the pine out, but crikey, that would be too much work for this old
girl. So it will stay as it is.



My girl is coming for the weekend with Jeremy and a friend. I have lots of food and am hoping to get fresh berries to make strawberry rhubarb muffins for them when they come.

I am making pizza for tonight, so have enough dough to make another to keep for tomorrow. I find that I am able to cook the pizza the next day and it's still really good. My sweetie could eat pizza 7 days a week I think...If anyone wants the super duper easy dough recipe, I'll post it. It makes bread if you don't want the second crust.

Have a great weekend all...

PS...quiltqua has a great giveaway. go to their site and see.





17 comments :

blushing rose said...

Awesome changes ... colorful & soothing. Love it!

FREE PAINT OFFER ~ this is legit
https://www.glidden.com/index.do

TTFN ~ Marydon

Crispy said...

Your new cushions are wonderful Nanci. They look like they fit very very well, who cares what the zippers look like, no one will see them. I really like the "new" look in the room.

Crispy

Lindsey said...

Those cushions turned out gorgeous...submit it to a magazine! Great makeover! I can't believe you even attempted the zippers...I think I would have made it like one huge sham...good for you for getting them in there!

Jocelyn said...

Very nice cushions. Much brighter and very cheery.

Jennifer said...

The new cushions look great! I promise not to look at the zippers....*grin*.....

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think the covers and pillows look really good. Sometimes the rooms need a make over don't they. I'm not good at zippers either. We only have a few hummingbirds this year - maybe it is too hot! I know it is for us :)
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh Nanci, What a super job, it looks so inviting and warm and cozy, enjoy your weekend!

Barb said...

Great job!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nanci,
They look fabulous! No one will be grading the zippers so don't worry. See you tomorrow (Saturday). We have one stop to make in Baysville so we might be a little later than we thought we would be. I have you polka dots packed to bring!
Ciao,
Helen

Anya said...

The cushions look great. I'm like you -- I'm terrible with zippers and avoid them if at all possible. But there's nothing wrong with hiding them in the back.

Val - Apple Cottage said...

Love your cushion covers and I love your dog. I wouldn't like your hot humid weather though. It's a max of 12degrees C here today and that's about perfect for me. I would like to experience a little of your winter weather just to see what it's like, but that's not ever going to happen in Queensland.

Micki said...

The cushion are lovely and it has really perked up the room. Great job!
Micki

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Well, it all looks so cozy and comfortable. Love the colors

SandyQuilts said...

Love the furniture. We had something similar when DH was in the Navy and we had base housing.

SHORTY'S QUILTS said...

Nancy, I always thought it would be nice to have a cottage to be able to quilt on a vacation or weekend. I don't have one but I sure do like yours. Love the quilts on your blog. I am new to blogging and will check in time and time again.

Treasuresofjoy said...

I love the cushion covers, it makes old and drab cheery and bright!!

canadianblonde said...

Nancy!
I finally got my blog up, running and full of good content. You were my sole inspiration for Blogging! www.tuscanydesign.net/craftbook
I loved reading your blog so much, and your cottage is gorgeous this year! Claire Ufnal (now Chmela!!)
**by the way, your blog inspired my blue and red quilt too!