Tuesday, July 14, 2009

ANOTHER QUILT FINISHED, FINALLY.


I finally finished the nine patch yesterday. I love the look of this quilt made from Walmart fat quarters, two bundles plus one of mine to be exact. It measures 62 x 65 approx.
The yellow in the sashings is a soft shade and I did the back plain yellow to just co ordinate the look I wanted.
I was trying to make it look like the two twin hand quilts that I posted earlier. The total effect is just a sweet little quilt.
I am today, going to work on the black quilt. After posting last week that I was looking for some striped black fabric, I decided that since it's just going to be a lap quilt, that what I have is sufficient to make a completed quilt once I add the black borders to it. Helen, (my private free teacher) was over yesterday and helped me with the layout and it's quite different. She made the design for me from her memories of blocks and I learned something different about this craft.
She also is completing a double irish chain quilt in soft pinks, with a pale little dotted centre and it is just so delicate in looks that I wanted to make one right away. Helen thought we should make it more modern in colours so it will be done as she saw the colours blending. I like the fact that Helen makes little coloured blocks out of paper for my lessons. She then helped me decide on the size etc once the fabric was picked. A good lesson yesterday about seeing blocks.
My friend has a Janome 9000 and since she is a hand quilter has never looked at whether the machine has free motion abilities such as the 6600 that I have. With her arthritis sometime hindering her mobility to do more than a small amount of hand quilting, she is moving to the machine for some of her tops that haven't been quilted. Does anyone know how this is model operates?
One of the best things that ever happened when my sweetie bought me the machine last year was to include the table....My goodness it really makes a huge and I mean huge difference when sewing quilts. Helen is looking for one for her machine or her sweetie will make one for her. I am actually going to have one made this winter to fit my other Janome. It will make those that come to sew with me able to have the comfort of the table.
Did I tell you that I finally ordered from Moda? Oh yeah, two, not just one Jelly Rolls. Oh Cherry Oh that I have admired while looking at blogs and loving the colours in the Jelly, so not only did I order one Jelly, but two and for the life of me cannot remember as I write this what the other was. But Helen has "Wonderland" which she has done in blocks already. So pretty that I may do mine like that too. The Fat Quarter shop had my Jelly on sale, along with the other so with the taxes, dollar exchange, I am saving quite a bit to have it shipped to Canada.
See you tomorrow dear friends.....

10 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Nanci I love the quilt - it has an old fashioned look to it which I know is what you were aiming for. Sounds like you have a great friend in a teacher of quilting. One day like her I will probably have to go to machine work but I will do the hand quilting as long as I can. I'm sure you can get a lot more done though with the machine!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Crispy said...

Oh Nanci, I just love your quilt!!! The soft yellow is so soothing...it makes me want to take a nap :0) How fun to have your own private teacher, it's a shame that arthritis is cutting back on her hand work. Now you can give her pointers on machine quilting.

Crispy

Lindsey said...

That turned out sooooo gorgeous! I do love that butter sashing...great work!

SewCalGal said...

Looks Great. Beautiful colors. Sashing really sets this quilt off. You did a great job.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Barbara Sindlinger said...

It is a beautiful quilt.
Wish I could help you on the Janome question, but I don't know.

Barb said...

Love the quilt....you did some fast work.

Jessica Christensen said...

What a beautiful quilt! And I love your first quilt too -- the orange. So fun!

Val - Apple Cottage said...

Love the quilt Nanci. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make up out of your jelly rolls.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh I love your quilt, the yellow is just perfect, and I have some charm packs of that Moda line, I have not touched them yet!~! Looking forward to seeing what you will do with yours.

Nanette Merrill said...

Bravo Nanci. Bravo. I love it.