Friday, September 25, 2009

FREE MOTION QUILTING, IS WHAT IT'S CALLED!


When I started this little quilt last year out of just scraps of this and that, I was thinking a lap quilt is all.
Of course things change when I start thinking and the brain gets really thick! Oh yeah, this photo looks so amazing doesn't it? It's supposed to look awesome because I decided to do something different in my "free motion quilting" thing.
Remember a few days ago I mentioned a site
called by that name? Well she is doing 365 days
of free motion designs......Yeah, and this one
is supposed to be easy. How hard can the
"beginner" level be? I says to the slow moving
brain yesterday.

This is supposed to be "sea grass" or some such thing as for the life of me I forget and am too embarrassed to go back and look at the real thing on her blog.....Not only that, but for the first time since this is a small quilt, I decided to add a piece of what would have been the front to the back.
Well, now I think that the back looks better than the front. I just didn't think I should photo the back but now, it looks better and better.
I finished the binding in bright (oh yeah, bright)
yellow to take away from the free motion (sic)
quilting I did.
Ok, here's a hint to anyone attempting something
like this.....try a 12" square instead of 3 ft square
dahhhhhhhh! I did practice for about 45 minutes
and on a small piece of scrap, I was booting it at
a great pace, you know steady, meandering (I
think that's her word not mine!) and thought
it was time to "go for it"
Lesson....try to just do the sashing as the "sea grass" for starters!
Lesson...Don't show it to the sweetie. "It looks like a signal flag!"....."Oh you messed up with the back did you?"....."Oh it looks good!" (Too late for any sucking up now .......sweetie)
He is heading to the dock with a glass of wine for me....fat chance of THAT happening.....oh, geez, I probably need two of those!




On a lighter note, we are heading home next week for a few days, so I will have a break to renew my "creative" juices...OMG!
Oh, and a happy birthday to me tomorrow, along with about 8 other people I know. But none as old as me....who cares?




11 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

happy birthday to you Nanci - we have birthdays close together - mine was on the 24th
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Michele said...

Look at you go! Free motion quilting makes me sweat. You make it look easy, stinker! Happy birthday!

Anya said...

That's lovely. And a very happy birthday to you!

Crispy said...

Oh Nanci, we are our own worse critics. It may not be perfect but shoot it's your first try at it and it's far better than I would ever do on a machine.

I had to laugh at your sweetie's attempt at back peddling and sucking up ROFL.

Crispy

blushing rose said...

Happy birthday, my friend. Mine is Sunday. Love your post ... got a chuckle out of it. Hugs, Marydon

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday, it's already Saturday here! Free-motion is like most things, it gets easier and better with practice. Or so I keep telling myself.....

Your Daughter said...

Its beautiful Mom...and so are you!

Happy Birthday to the silliest lovable Mom in the World!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Happy Birthday! Your quilt looks beautiful. I tried free motion for the first time a few days ago and it kicked my rear. I need a bit more practice.
I enjoy your blog!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the Happy Quilt Lady. You are absolutely fabulous "Darlink."
Helen

Sunshine said...

Happy Birthday Nanci!

Your quilting looks fine on the photos. My teacher always said: if a guy gallopping by on a horse won't notice it, then leave it!

Cheers,
Christine

fabricartist21 said...

Say I just love the way you describe your stuff. Now that sounds just like me and my sister. My neighbor says " do you want it perfect or do you want it done?" I am new to all of this blogging and am having a fall giveaway and inviting people to come and sign up and become a follower. Thanks