Saturday, January 2, 2010

THE DINNER PARTY




When we invited friends over for New Year's Eve, there were six of us for a small dinner party.  Cream of Leek soup, small salad, prime rib of beef, potatoes, carrots, onions and my "famous" yorkshire puddings which are always...remember that operative word always....so puffy and high that there are ooooooohs and aaaaaaaws, always. 

Everything went well till I looked at the yorkies just as my sweetie was carving the beef....They looked like hockey pucks in size !   What the devil could have gone wrong?   Oh well, we were amongst friends, so I served them on the platter anyway....Actually tasted good, although not as light as usual.  No one complained, because you know the best part of going to a dinner party anytime is not the food....it's the not having to clean up!  




We finished the night with delicious Monte Cristo coffees which my sweetie made at 11:30 so that we would be finished by midnight to bring in the new year!


Now, as we all get older and you know who I am talking to here....it actually gets harder and harder to stay
up past midnight on any given day, let alone New Years...We did manage to all be "cheery" till about 12:20 and then, it was four people out the door saying thanks so much for the fun!   We were all yawning as goodnights and thank yous were gushed!

I looked at the mess on the counter and thought " what was I thinking when I invited my friends to dinner?   Look at the mess!  Never mind that I had a good time, that there was laughing and great conversations......OMG, what a mess!

I decided to leave it till the morning, when my brain and body wasn't so tired...I actually slept in!  I couldn't believe that it was 8:45 when I awoke!    Happy New Year!   I felt actually good.   I don't drink very much at all so it is usually just being off schedule that bums me out for the next day...you know lack of sleep....

Coffee was made, the mess ignored....yes actually ignored and the bed beckoned me....I finished my little book, Playing for Pizza by Grisham (which by the way is quite good, different from the usual murder stuff) had another coffee and faced the kitchen.


The dishwasher was made for this occasion!  In about 10 okay 15 minutes, this is what the kitchen looked like.


Can you believe it?  Really it was done in that amount of time.  My sweetie cleared the dining room table, put the rest of our entertainment paraphanalia away and we were done!

Ok, it wasn't so bad afterall!  

Now it's the new year, I am not taking the tree down as I usually do on New Year's day, but will leave it till the 6th in honour of my Ukranian friends...I think I have some.    I'm not ready to get rid of it yet.   My family will be pleased as I usually clear out all the Christmas stuff as soon as I can.


Did you have fun? 

6 comments :

Crispy said...

Yummmm Yorkshire pudding, I haven't made that in years, flat or poofy it is wonderful. You obviously had a wonderful time with your friends. I can't remember if I had fun, I was sleeping LOL.

Crispy

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I put the Christmas tree away yesterday - and then this morning I really missed it!! I had been turning the lights on every morning and leave them on all day as my living room is not a really light room - especially in the winter and I just love Christmas lights. It sounds like you had a nice night bringing in the new year.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you and your sweetie! "Himself" and I had a lovely NY eve. Good wine, good food, Air Farce and each other. WOW! Life is good. Talk soon -
Helen

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Yes - a grand time - and you got to do all the cleanup. LOL We spent a quiet evening - no cooking mess, no cleanup - and went to bed at 9:30 - slept in too.

Quiltgal said...

Sounds like you had a blast! Your kitchen looks very nice. Happy New Year.

Susan In Texas said...

Sounds like a fun party! I've never had yorkshire pudding, but it sounds yummy.

I think it's a shame when people put away their Christmas trees so early. Around here you will often see Christmas trees by the side of the road on the afternoon of Dec. 25th! Of course, they've been up since Thanksgiving, so the real trees are dry as dust by then. However, the 12 Days of Christmas don't actually start until Christmas Day and they end on Jan. 6th, which is the Feast of the Epiphany. I'm lazy, my Christmas stuff will probably still be up at Valentine's Day. lol

Happy New Year,
Susan
http://www.susanintexas.blogspot.com