Friday, February 12, 2010

JUST A LITTLE STRIPPIE









I love to stipple, but am getting a bit bored with it as I do different quilting.



So I decided to practice some new ways to move my free motion foot. I practiced on a small piece and then came up with two different patterns, to work on the smaller of the strips.



I'm quite happy with them and I took my time as I have
a tendency to work fast in free motion spirit.



I have tried stitch in the ditch, but have a bit of trouble
with the stitch length. The stitches seem to be too tight
when I set the tensions. My instructions don't say how long they should be. How long should they be I wonder?


This little quilt is for a teenager who suffers from seizures and loves pink! My granddaughter suggested the coloursfor her and was supposed to help with the quilt, but other than the colours,she just didn't have the time. So knowing her school workload and her workout
schedule I realized that before she leaves for training
camp that there would be no way for her to make time to do this, so with love, I made it for her.





You can see the three different patterns on the back. I stippled the largest strip but will definitely do a few more patterns in the future. 365 days of free motion quilting offers so many ideas and I can incorporate which ever I like....with practice.



Today is the start of the Olympics! This will be two weeks of watching the "youth" of the world trying to do their best! Here in Canada, we will have hours and hours of coverage, not just prime time. It's a shame that countries do pay that amount of money, but only provide a couple of hours a day.


I have the knitting needles ready for some serious socks as I shall be glued to the tv for the next couple of weeks.

16 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hi Nanci,

You are a wonder! Love the combinations of stitches. When using a walking foot for stitching in the ditch, I use a 3.5 stitch length (on my Janomme) - not sure how yours are numbered. My machine automatically adjusts the bobbin tension for me. It worked well in my Christmas quilts. C-ya soon

Anonymous said...

OOPS, the above posting is from Helen

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Great stitching! I'm sure the recipient will love it. I'm certainly not an expert, but I use a 3 or 3.5 stitch length with my walking foot.
I love the Olympics, too. I may have to move my sewing machine into the TV room!

Susan In Texas said...

I love to stipple too, but I know what you mean. It gets a little bit ho hum after awhile. Your new patterns looks terrific! I really like the big zigzag pattern; I never would have thought of that. If you need some free motion inspiration, this is the site for you: http://www.daystyledesigns.com/365project.htm

Leah is doing a different free-motion pattern for each day of the year. I was really impressed by the site; she even has nice little video tutorials on how to make the patterns. I only wish I had her levels of skill and imagination.

Happy quilting,
Susan in Texas

Anonymous said...

It is a very pretty strippy quilt and wonderful act of kindness.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I will be watching the olympics too. Here it is on in the evening hours but you can also tune in to the sports channel during the daytime and watch them too - almost everyone has access to these channels now from cable and dishes.
Good job on the quilting.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Hey Nanci! looks great! i see I'm not the only one trying everything in free motion! ;-) and a good loving home for this beauty! well done!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Looks wonderful! What grandmothers will do, with love!!
Enjoy the Olympics, I have a TV in my sewing room, I will be watching also.

SandyQuilts said...

Darling quilt .... I just love maryquilts.com strippie pattern. Sweet colors.

Shirley said...

Hi Nanci,
Well done on the quilting front, it is the bit I am not so keen on - machine quilting. I am sure your young friend will love it. We have been watching on the news today about the snow situation in Canada, hope they get lots of it soon. Good luck with the socks. May the best team win.
Shirley.x

Micki said...

I love the designs that you did and you did a great job!
Micki

Sue-Anne said...

You are so clever. I am hopeless at machine quilting. Lucky you getting all the coverage in live time. I'm not sure how much we will get here but I will be watching as much as I can. I love the ice skating and bobsled/luge and especially the new snowboarding events.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What a lovely quilt, and keep up the good work on the stipple quilting! I love the winter olympics. I love winter sports because I grew up in Nova Scotia. I took one of my daughters to the 2002 Olympics, but unable to make it to Vancouver--I'll be glued to the TV.

Crispy said...

You did such lovely quilting, your young friend will love it.

Crispy

Kelly said...

Do an OLYMPIC quilt MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leslie said...

yeah for the olympics! this is a really adorable quilt. i have made one of these before and they come together so fast and are so satisfying.