Sunday, February 7, 2010

PAINTED HOUSE ALMOST FINISHED!






Last week when the house was white and the painter came, I really wasn't prepared for the changes that were about to happen!


I tell you, I wasn't excited, as I liked the white house that I've been living in for four years. It was simple, every room matched and even though my daughter, grand daughters, and even Mary, (the neighbour) said we needed colour, neither my sweetie or I put much thought into it.


But I tell you that once it was decided that we needed
sprucing up, well the colours were picked with me saying
"ok, whatever you want" type of thing to the colours that
the man of the house picked.



Well he did a great job! The yellow walls look fabulous!
I feel like I'm in a new house.
Everything is so bright, and as each room was completed my sweetie cleaned and polished everything that went back into the rooms.

We don't have that many rooms as our house is very open plan as I've told you before, however the result has been amazing! I love the colours that he picked.



Now the best part for me was the bedroom. We had
bought a new king size mattress last spring from Sleep
Country (for those that are American, it's a large and
very popular shop here in Canada) and had a lot of
trouble with it. We paid a lot of money so having the
feeling of going uphill each night was not what we
wanted.


So we went back and without any fuss, they exchanged the mattress. Now of course the dilemna that we all face when we buy a 15 " mattress, is that the duvets or bedspreads, or blankets that fit nicely on our 9 or 10 inche mattress of past is that they don't fit any more.

Our duvet was goose down, but only 100" wide. It barely covered the sides of the new mattress. So Mary and I went shopping for super size bedding. Well I found this which measured 114 " across and it's perfect with a new silk duvet to boot! I couldn't be happier.

I am beginning to feel that like Murphy Brown, that the painter lives with us and is never going to leave. He says each day, well the last two anyway that it's his last day, but he's coming back tomorrow ( Monday). Well he's no Eldon, kinda cute though, but I want my house back!

I must rise and shine each morning early, showered and dressed before 8:15, and you can imagine the man of the house rising that early now that we are retired, well, tomorrow is his last day or else!

I'm sewing but have not had time to do much as you can imagine. Tomorrow as Scarlet says is another day!

11 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looking nice!! so nice that you don't need to do the painting yourself. Yes the mattresses do cause problems sometimes. I had a hard time finding sheets to fit our 15" deep mattress at first when we got it (years ago now) but over the years it has gotten easy to find them.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Barb said...

Your house looks amazin...tell your husband that he has good taste!

Jennifer said...

Your house looks lovely! The colour is warm and welcoming. And a new bed too, wow.

Susan In Texas said...

Your bedroom looks terrific! Love the bedding. We FINALLY ordered a new down comforter this weekend; the one we have had for years weighs a ton. We went to purchase a new one (by weight) and it was 35 ounces. I asked Larry to weigh the one we have, because 35 ounces seemed like a lot and I didn't want to get stuck with another heavy one. He weighed our current comforter - 8 pounds! No wonder it feels like it's dragging me off the bed sometimes. I'm sure glad you aren't sleeping uphill anymore, that would really get on your nerves after a while!

Take care and enjoy your beautiful "new" house,
Susan

Trish said...

The colors look great! I especially like the bedroom. It looks like it came out of a magazine layout. I too have all white walls and I keep saying someday, I'm going to paint them a color. Enjoy!!

Crispy said...

Oh Nanci!!! It's just beautiful!!! It makes me want to start painting....maybe this spring when I can open up windows. You sure have a beautiful home :0)

Crispy

Anonymous said...

Hi Nanci,

FABULOUS Darhlink! Great colour. Your Sweetie has wonderful taste but then he has you so why should that be a surprise.
XO
Helen

Harmony Hopes Studio said...

Wow, just delicious and such a happy colour.
Penny

Twisted Quilts said...

It looks great! I am like you about color and my daugther insists on it and when I listen to her she is ususally right. We did paint one room what we thought was going to be peach and turned out to be pink. We had work done at our house before Christmas. It was good to have it done but even better when they were finished.

Cathy said...

WOW!!!! You have such a beautiful house! And the color makes it even more gorgeous! I saved a picture of your bedroom, cause I want one just like that! LOL
Cathy

SandyQuilts said...

Could you tell me about your hardwood floors? color, make They are so beautiful.